what do you call your early bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too is "The Bus" and as a name he is called Wijit, cos when we first saw him we misread the number plate. The PO used to call him Buddy for some reason.

I've never really named vehicles as such, but to some friends who have names for their buses, and have kept asking me the name of mine, I sometimes refer to it as 'D' (for Danbury). :lol: Moreover I usually just refer to it as 'The Doug Bus'.

Having said the above, as a family we have always referred to the bus as 'The Folksy'. This has always been the name we have used in the 38 years since our first association with them! This stems from the fact that as a 5 year old I was not quite able to pronounce the correct name 'Volkswagen', and it came out as 'Fokesfargen' and so 'Folksy' evolved and stuck! :mrgreen:

As an aside, Johnny, I never realized that the Cali bus you bought was that particular one.
I remember the ad for it, and wondered what had become of it. Do you have a thread running on it? (Scuttles off to check :D)

Danbury Doug said:
I've never really named vehicles as such, but to some friends who have names for their buses, and have kept asking me the name of mine, I sometimes refer to it as 'D' (for Danbury). :lol: Moreover I usually just refer to it as 'The Doug Bus'.

Having said the above, as a family we have always referred to the bus as 'The Folksy'. This has always been the name we have used in the 38 years since our first association with them! This stems from the fact that as a 5 year old I was not quite able to pronounce the correct name 'Volkswagen', and it came out as 'Fokesfargen' and so 'Folksy' evolved and stuck! :mrgreen:

As an aside, Johnny, I never realized that the Cali bus you bought was that particular one.
I remember the ad for it, and wondered what had become of it. Do you have a thread running on it? (Scuttles off to check :D)

mine gets called bruksy because of the reg number, but also every f and c and b and any other swear word and :x names over the last 15 years,
but mostly just bruksy! :)

hey Doug do you remember Dave Farmer the VW man ?,

It's not a name I can recall, no. Is (was) he in the New Forest area?

In the early days we were down in Pompey. We used the local dealer (Pooles) and I recall we also used Bob Bozbury from Fareham, who did all manner of stuff on aircooled dubs.

We call ours a Bus , as we used to have a caravan and this was shortened to "the van".

Our bus didn’t have a name ,so we tried thinking of one but every one that we thought of didn’t seem right. When we were taking the interior panels out of the bus one of the panels had "Rocky" typed on a sticker, so he really named himself !

We had the same conversation; bus or van.
Van sounds too commercial but being a Westy is does not feel too bus like but thats my preferred term. Between us we have named her Twinkie, and the reason:
It started trying to think of an American connection as she is an import. What other American export would last this long? Twinkie's. It also sort of fitted the smiling faces when we viewed her.

Danbury Doug said:
It's not a name I can recall, no. Is (was) he in the New Forest area?

In the early days we were down in Pompey. We used the local dealer (Pooles) and I recall we also used Bob Bozbury from Fareham, who did all manner of stuff on aircooled dubs.

Yes Doug, he was in the New Forest near Fawley,
He ran a Vw breakers and workshop he also sometimes wrote help articles in the VW Motoring magazine,
and he thought i was raving mad when i said what i was going to pay for bruksy ,
he shouted to his mate hes gonna pay 2 grand for that! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our bus/van is called Beryl as she's Beryl Green ... when I'm in the bad books, the wife calls her "my wardrobes and fireplace" as the money we keep putting aside for new wardrobes and a fireplace keeps getting spent on Beryl!

I usually refer to mine as "the van", sometimes "the bus"

As for personal names it was called colin when it was a camper, now its a van in red and black its known as dennis....as my stepdaughter thinks it looks like dennis the menace.. :lol: :lol:

mines named Trigger's Bus, after trigger's broom :D :D , one owner since new, 2 resto's, 3rd Engine, but still the same van underneath. :p 8)

Latest posts