What do you want from a show?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easy said:
A nice classic show is always good, live bands all day n night. Good stalls! not someone selling glow in the dark socks and china dolls. Good local food, independants.

Most important, no T4s n 5s or it will go the way of all other shows that have been over run, fights, dick heads and chrome stalls selling tail pipes and big stereos. Looking at a brand new T5 with a different set of wheels does nothing for the air cooled crew, unless thats what you want to go...

I think like an old skool fete style with tons of cool stuff for the kids. Bird display, bouncy castle, punch n judy show etc. with a wedge load of nice old VWs scattered all over the place.

Also a show and shine on the saturday not the sunday or even better get everyone to walk around and vote for the one they want.

Just my 10p worth. :mrgreen:

In a nutshell that's my idea of a show right there^^^^ :)

Air cooled VWs, ethical food from small independent traders (with a good choice for Veggies). A proper old school autojumble and no stalls selling soft toys, cushions, pretend german helmets, witty fridge magnets/stickers, split screen egg cups and all the other scene tat with a vw badge on it.

I have to say, and this might be the wrong forum to say it, why keep it to VW, I love all old cars! Air or water cooled makes no particular odds to me - just have a rolling date, I'd say even 80's stuff is 'classic' these days. Nothing newer than say 25 or 30 years?

Bands I could take or leave. Chrome and speakers, as stated, not specially welcome.

However, Autojumble, for certain. Retro kids roundabout with Austin J4 pedal cars. Vintage tractors! Yankee section.

Dickie524 said:
I have to say, and this might be the wrong forum to say it, why keep it to VW, I love all old cars! Air or water cooled makes no particular odds to me - just have a rolling date, I'd say even 80's stuff is 'classic' these days. Nothing newer than say 25 or 30 years?

Bands I could take or leave. Chrome and speakers, as stated, not specially welcome.

However, Autojumble, for certain. Retro kids roundabout with Austin J4 pedal cars. Vintage tractors! Yankee section.

Thanks for your input, I put 'cool cars' on the website but would Love to see some 80's classics too. It is tractor heaven at the farm ....the farmer was looking to cut down his stock of 21 and bought 2 more lol

I see you are from Derbyshire, I will sort an autojumble if you come ;)

Would love to!

There's a 1947 article by George Orwell in which he describes his perfect pub, which he called the Moon Under Water (hence why so many wetherspoons use that name) - We could adapt it t be the perfect show!

Congratulations on all the planning and organising, its a massive undertaking and whilst I unfortunately won't be able to make it that distance, all the very best of luck with it all, and hope the sun shines :D

Air cooled only works in theory, but what happens if you've arranged to camp with your early bay mates. Then at last minute the bus is not ready, so you & family rock up in the water cooled daily, just to be segregated from your friends????
This happened to us at field of dreams one year, we've never been back since!!!!!

Oh & I like lots of cars on display, good live bands, a bar & stuff for the bairn to do!!!
I feel robbed when I have to pay extra for my "camping unit" , what the f**k else would I be staying in???????
Plenty toilets & bins, very practical additions!!

aircooled only!!!
good bands, music, & people..
beer, stuff for the kids, nice food...

show and shine/ rust n rat voted by the ticket buyers is great idea!

good luck!!

The most important thing is having choice:

You should be able to see some decent music but also get away from it if you want to just chill (quiet camping is useful if done properly)
You should have different food and drink available from local producers, the more local and artisan the better (not just burgers and crappy Chinese)
You should have activities for kids so the adults can kick back
There should be a "show and shine" and a "rust and prime", and ideally with visitors choosing the winners. Having peeps in "groups" like early, late, panel, 60's bug, 70's bug, etc is cool
Traders are always good to see
Facilities need to be good quality and plentiful
I'm happy to pay top-dollar for a decent weekend away, what pisses me off is paying good money to get in finding that I've got to then pay more for crap.

To echo what many have already said, the T4 and T5 crew bore me to tears, they normally pitch up in some generic converted plumbers van, open all the doors and start pumping out some wanky drum and bass whilst their staffy roams around shitting everywhere. In my experience the air-cooled guys are a bit more sociable and similar-minded and its all about the motors.

That all said, putting on a show is more work than most realise, so the best of luck in doing it if you decide to. It takes years to establish a good event and get a decent reputation.

Just my tuppence worth.....

Thank you SiDev, some really good points. I am going to try to fulfill most of them but we (mostly me) have given ourselves a silly amount of time to achieve this and a lot of it is going to be a learning curve. I doubt I will have enough time to sort a 'show and shine' this year but you never know someone might pitch in to help. We have had loads of positive interest and I only asked the farmer what he thought 5 weeks ago, since then 3 major musicians have stepped up and we have had loads of offers from local companies wanting to help :)

It is really making me realise what it takes to put on a show and I hope people will be gentle with their input when it all comes together :/

Well I never knew how difficult and complicated organising a show is :/ Hat's off to everyone who does it because it's a lot of work! Insurance and Health and Safety is a bloody nightmare.

Anyway we have most of it sorted, Ska themed Friday night with the best local bands, ska reggae DJ and Titanic Survivors and Ska Dogs (8 peice band with horn section)

Saturday music starts at midday with a local band called 7ft 4 (the lead singer has one leg) at 1pm a group of my sons friends will be passing through dressed as Star Wars characters. They are walking from Winchester (started by the Mayor) to Southampton raising funds. I am hoping the UK Garrison (Star Wars storm trropers etc)

Other bands on the Saturday are Daisy Chains, The Modules, The Lixs and DJ's in the evening Bob 'The General' Warren and Paul Sawyer.

On Sunday we have Si Genaro from The Voice and two young local accoustic bands Lewis Smith and Jamie and Lauren.

Loads of kids stuff, face painting, Bouncy Castle, Gladiators, Bungee Run, Rodeo Bull, Coconut Shy and my favourite that I haven't seen since I was a kid Hook a Duck! and Model Boats.

Food stalls are really varied with Hog Roast, (also does burger and chips etc) Spanish churros, Thai Noodles, Mexicali burritos, quesidillas etc, Wood fired pizza, Coffee and cakes, candy floss, Fudge and Ice Creams :)

Of course there is a beer tent with all usual favourite booze and maybe some local Hampshire Cider :)

I really hope some (all) of you can come x x x

Well I never knew how difficult and complicated organising a show is :/ Hat's off to everyone who does it because it's a lot of work! Insurance and Health and Safety is a bloody nightmare.

Anyway we have most of it sorted, Ska themed Friday night with the best local bands, ska reggae DJ and Titanic Survivors and Ska Dogs (8 peice band with horn section)

Saturday music starts at midday with a local band called 7ft 4 (the lead singer has one leg) at 1pm a group of my sons friends will be passing through dressed as Star Wars characters. They are walking from Winchester (started by the Mayor) to Southampton raising funds. I am hoping the UK Garrison (Star Wars storm trropers etc)

Other bands on the Saturday are Daisy Chains, The Modules, The Lixs and DJ's in the evening Bob 'The General' Warren and Paul Sawyer.

On Sunday we have Si Genaro from The Voice and two young local accoustic bands Lewis Smith and Jamie and Lauren.

Loads of kids stuff, face painting, Bouncy Castle, Gladiators, Bungee Run, Rodeo Bull, Coconut Shy and my favourite that I haven't seen since I was a kid Hook a Duck! and Model Boats.

Food stalls are really varied with Hog Roast, (also does burger and chips etc) Spanish churros, Thai Noodles, Mexicali burritos, quesidillas etc, Wood fired pizza, Coffee and cakes, candy floss, Fudge and Ice Creams :)

Of course there is a beer tent with all usual favourite booze and maybe some local Hampshire Cider :)

I really hope some (all) of you can come x x x

Latest posts