What do you want from a show?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I am currently organising a new show for July this year :shock: I have been to a lot of shows and know what I like but wondered if you all could help me get this right by giving me ideas as to how to make it a success. We hope to do it every year as there is plenty of room in the field and it could become a really good little show.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/576823315807827/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For us its all about the mood, love to see live bands and we always take the kids so some way of entertaining the little ones is a must :D

Thanks Welly :) Same here, though the kids have grown now. We will have live bands, Ska Dogs confirmed for the Friday night :) Kid's entertainment is coming along (few issues with insurance for bouncy castles, but we will work it out. We will have a quieter 'family plot' for camping and the noisier people can be nearer the arena, professional security so it's safe for all..... Loads to sort out but it's all for my son's charity (details below) so I really want it to be one of the best!

Would be great if a lot of early bays came to keep my bus CyByL company :) x x x

Be good if you had an early bay only section :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ozziedog said:
If I come,,,,,,,,,, do I get to share a beer with you guys ????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will if I can :mrgreen:

Of course! if we get time to sit down for a minute :) I will also give you a pass for the VIP area ;)

A nice classic show is always good, live bands all day n night. Good stalls! not someone selling glow in the dark socks and china dolls. Good local food, independants.

Most important, no T4s n 5s or it will go the way of all other shows that have been over run, fights, dick heads and chrome stalls selling tail pipes and big stereos. Looking at a brand new T5 with a different set of wheels does nothing for the air cooled crew, unless thats what you want to go...

I think like an old skool fete style with tons of cool stuff for the kids. Bird display, bouncy castle, punch n judy show etc. with a wedge load of nice old VWs scattered all over the place.

Also a show and shine on the saturday not the sunday or even better get everyone to walk around and vote for the one they want.

Just my 10p worth. :mrgreen:

easy said:
A nice classic show is always good, live bands all day n night. Good stalls! not someone selling glow in the dark socks and china dolls. Good local food, independants.

Most important, no T4s n 5s or it will go the way of all other shows that have been over run, fights, dick heads and chrome stalls selling tail pipes and big stereos. Looking at a brand new T5 with a different set of wheels does nothing for the air cooled crew, unless thats what you want to go...

I think like an old skool fete style with tons of cool stuff for the kids. Bird display, bouncy castle, punch n judy show etc. with a wedge load of nice old VWs scattered all over the place.

Also a show and shine on the saturday not the sunday or even better get everyone to walk around and vote for the one they want.

Just my 10p worth. :mrgreen:

Thanks easy, Your ideal sounds a lot like mine :) I am not advertising it as a VW event for those reasons, it's going to be an old fashioned 'local' event with all of the above except I can't find a punch and Judy show that's not booked and the local bird show 'Falcon High' is too :/ Maybe next year.

It's really difficult to organise at short notice but we have a lot of good local bands coming so I hope you guys can support us x x x

We run our show its abou a few things

Vehicles having some of the best in the uk
Location one of the best in Cornwall
Music live local acts
No kids stuff
Lots of beer
no gay dog shows
Show and shine
With only 200 tickets exclusivity

Now in its fourth year

A proper event not a t4/5 camp out

Sorry, I'm going to dissent by saying I can't stand bands. Noisy bastards! I just want nice old cars and good food and ale. No 'scene' crap, no t5's with rusty bonnets, no people selling those trolleys for pulling kids around, preferably no kids either, no tents full of collections of bmxs or naff clothing and no big corporate companies selling cheap camping rubbish.
Maybe I'll stay at home :(

I want my shows aircooled only, if thats not practical then Id like the event focus and priority to be on aircooled in respect of line ups, show and shine trophies etc etc.

Im not fussed about live bands, fancy dress or being entertained particularly, but a communal area perhaps round a food court with some music playing would be good.

I dont care what trade is there, traders bring in people, create interests for family and friends and generate an atmosphere, it takes me a quick glance to choose if I look in or walk on by, no big deal. I just think its important to get as much trade in as possible.

Id rather not prebook, I dont want to pay extra to take my camper in that then becomes part of the show, and Id rather pay a staggered rate, so if I cant get there till Saturday for domestic/personal reasons then I dont pay a full weekend ticket price.

:)

No groups of 20 somethings with Polos and 'Vaping' their heads off with stickers saying 'slammed' or 'wheelwhores' etc

(Watercooled in other words)

They can stay in Tescos car park.

Id rather have local food vendors as well rather than massive £6 a burger twin axle stall jobbies.

Tynemouth isn't happening this year (organisers are too busy) but that was a perfect example balance of Old VWs and Public Participation IMHO

tynemouth_zpspwuwcx2u.jpg

Agree with the prebook thing, agreed you don't want 5000 people turning up on the day when you have 200 places but most people with VW's have families/work/lifes and normally cant be there for an entire weekend. Maybe bookable days?

Thanks loads for your input guys :)

This is a fundraising thing so I want it to be fun for everyone, we will have bands I'm afraid as it's what will draw most people in but the field is massive (over 7 acres) so plenty of room to get away from them. There are lovely walks by the river which is right next to us. Kids are allowed because I would like a family feel to it too (maybe I should say they have to be in bed by 9pm lol)

Tickets are a difficult thing to organise if it get's complicated with different days needing different wristbands and that all adds to the cost. That said, we are only charging £25 for the whole weekend for camping and £10 for day tickets. I have never done anything like this before so I am bound to get a lot wrong, especially as we are organising it in a stupid amount of time. The local college 'events management' course tutor said it couldn't be done but we are proving her wrong and other people have faith in us .....got a sponsor yesterday for 1k!!!

I would also like it aircooled only but I have some lovely friends with later vw's I think if we get as far as a show and shine it will be aircooled only. In future years it's going to be a school fete type thing with music and aircooled's but I won't be turning anyone away, as long as they don't make trouble as cancer affects all of us and so we should all be able to contribute :)

The pre booking thing might be a necessity as the police and licensing authorities want to know numbers attending, plus you have to do a business plan and everyone wants to know how many are coming. Security, number of first aiders, car parking help etc etc etc is all based on numbers and you can't tell unless you sell tickets. I may save half a dozen for you guys though and could even make you your own camping area :) x x x

All the things that have been discussed are good points.

As you have said, air cooled only show and shine but let all those in with a VW for camping.

Maybe consider a dedicated air cooled only camping area, so those who like the company of those in the old school scene can camp in that area.

I prefer to pre-book, surely it must decrease the queues on the gate as well.

If their are any local breweries near by, try get them on board for the local ales etc?

I don't mind music, but I do think most shows let them run a bit late and if camping is too close it can be annoying.
Its all about the layout with that though really, skegvegas in the past couple of years have a music tent that is a fair distance from the camping area.... Which works great because those that want to be part of the 'disco' can, and those that don't can chill or sleep.

Now, the question I would have is, are off ground fire pits going to be allowed? Sitting next to a fire, with some ale and good friends is what makes a VW show for me..

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

rlepecha said:
All the things that have been discussed are good points.

As you have said, air cooled only show and shine but let all those in with a VW for camping.

Maybe consider a dedicated air cooled only camping area, so those who like the company of those in the old school scene can camp in that area.

I prefer to pre-book, surely it must decrease the queues on the gate as well.

If their are any local breweries near by, try get them on board for the local ales etc?

I don't mind music, but I do think most shows let them run a bit late and if camping is too close it can be annoying.
Its all about the layout with that though really, skegvegas in the past couple of years have a music tent that is a fair distance from the camping area.... Which works great because those that want to be part of the 'disco' can, and those that don't can chill or sleep.

Now, the question I would have is, are off ground fire pits going to be allowed? Sitting next to a fire, with some ale and good friends is what makes a VW show for me..

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

I would absolutely Love an outside fire! but the fecking health and safety *&^%$'s make it impossible from an insurance point of view :( I think you can have a bar bee on bricks :/

I have contacted local cider peeps but will ask about ales :)

I have made sure there is family camping but maybe we need two different 'other' areas, one near the noise..... although the council has said bands must stop at 11pm? I have yet to suss whether music in your bus is ok? it's in a field with no (3)neighbours and a train line through before any housing but apparently the wind blows the music up the hill <-<

One of the most important things is toilets! Don't scrimp on how many you supply, too many is far better than not enough. Good local food too not just over priced burgers and chips.

Latest posts