What Documents do i need for registering with DVLA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbay

Reaction score
As above, need to take a trip to either Exeter or Bristol DVLA office to register the van, so just checking on what documents to take, i have:

Californian title
import documents (customs paperwork)
Transfer document from original importer
3rd party age declaration letter
insurance cover note
Mot certificate (in a day or two)
£65 fee

am i missing anything??

also, anyone recommend either of the above DVLA offices?, i'm about in the middle of either so doesnt make any difference to me.

The fee is only £55 and you are better off filling in the V55/5 before you get there, you may be able to download one from the directgov site.

But apart from that I think you have everything, process usually takes 4-5 working days and suggest you ask them to ring you when its complete and go and get the paperwork. Certainly in Birmingham they process the application quickly but then its sits there waiting to be posted :mrgreen:

Thanks Graham.

Bugger i don't have the V55/5 document, will i be able to get one there (you can only order them online, no download)

Also registering in my other halfs name (due to insurance as i already have a car using my no claims discount),will i be able to do that for her or would she need to be there in person?

You get a V55/5 from the DVLA office, ask them for an import pack.

Normally though you have to present the docs in whose name you are registering it in as they will also ask for ID (forgot about that bit earlier), from memory its a Driving licence/passport and something to prove your address (council tax or other utility bill). If I remember I'll double check my list at the office in the morning.

Sorry for crashing this , but what form do I need to redgister a english bus that has a lost log book? [I must have done loads in the past but forgotten]...Can I do it online because I am in France....Already checked on line to see if it is legit...

why dont you post it mate :?: if they want to see the van you will be back down when they have seen the forms

robins said:
why dont you post it mate :?: if they want to see the van you will be back down when they have seen the forms

I would but we have an insurance company deadline of end of next week to meet and we the current royal mail strikes that are going on around the country I don't want to risk it being delayed.

Plus knowing how slow dvla are at posting stuff out it would probably take them a week to post out the v55/5 form.

You don't have to fill out the whole of the v55/5 form either when you get it. On first glance, it's quite a scarey form, but after a chat with DVLA they said i only had to fill out some of the boxes.

Check this link, i put down which boxes you have to fill.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7049&p=67938&hilit=v55%2F5#p67938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps, you'll see what i mean when you get the form. :)

As Leon says only certain sections need filling in, if you ask for an import pack it also tells you which ones to fill in and which to leave but they are usually helpful which does help, especially as at Birmingham you have to queue for half an hour!!

Don't know if anyone else had this problem, but when I registered mine (71Westy) I filled in motor caravan/camper on the V55/5. Because of this I had to take the bus to a special depot to be checked (Costing me a day off work and hire of a trailer)... All he did was see if it had a cooker installed (With being a Westy it hasn't) and told me it would have to be registered as a van with windows, not a camper!! (Even tho it's got a sink, fridge and bed and is obviously a camper!!)
Don't know if this is a random thing and I was unlucky or what?? All I know is that it added another month to the time it took to register.
Unless you've got a cooker installed, i'd register it as a van with windows...

I've put Motor Caravan on the last 2 I've done and not had that problem

Latest posts