What have you done to your US Spec rear lights for MOT?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70-CA-Panel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'll need to get my rear lights set up for the MOT.

Have you bought the euro bulbholder or kept the us holder?
I'd like to keep my reverse lights as reverse lights.
Do green bulbs work in red lenses for orange indicators? where did you get the green bulbs?

Anything else besides front lights for MOT?

Cheers guys.

Andy

Orange bulb paint or relocate indicators to rear (Markers/reverse lights) if you have a U.S spec Bus.
I want to do mine when I get time... :roll:

I know StuF has done it on his.

Not as simple as painting the bulb as if you keep the US bulb holder its a 3 way light from a single 2 filament bulb so it will affect all of your lights not just the indicator.

Side lights is one filament and brake & indicator is on the other one which is why most people convert the reverse lights to indicators with orange bulbs, I'm sure you are aware but whatever you do you need to run a wire from the yellow wire that was connected to your hazard switch to your brake lights to stop them flashing.

Front you need to fit RH Dip headlamps, Late bay headlamps fit US imports and have a hole for the sidelight that makes it all nice and easy.

Thanks for your reply Graham,

So if I want to keep my reverse lights I will need to change the single bulb US holder to a Euro two bulb holder?
Are there any other alternatives? What are my options?
I've heard the rear indicators need to be orange for the MOT as well is this true?
Are sidelights required in the front, can the indicators like in the US models be substituted?

The latebay front lights are they still sealed beam units?
If not will I need to get a complete set including chrome ring?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

70-CA-Panel said:
Thanks for your reply Graham,

So if I want to keep my reverse lights I will need to change the single bulb US holder to a Euro two bulb holder?
Are there any other alternatives? What are my options?
I've heard the rear indicators need to be orange for the MOT as well is this true?
Are sidelights required in the front, can the indicators like in the US models be substituted?

The latebay front lights are they still sealed beam units?
If not will I need to get a complete set including chrome ring?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

The only other option would be to try and fit a second bulb holder into the reverse lights to act as indicators, why are you so keen on keeping the reverse lights as uk buses never had them, it's a US thing.

Rear indicators must be orange after 1965 construction & use regs.

Sidelights are required at the front, us buses have them but they show orange, not all mot testers are happy with this in my experience, it's easy to run a lead to the headlamp bowl.

Late bay lamps are sealed beam and fit with the same single hole chrome surround, heritage, m7 etc all sell the lights and side lamp holders, it's an easy swap at the front.

Cheers Graham,

I'd like to keep my reverse lights to see where I'm reversing into at night, they're not bright but that little bit helps.

Guess I might have to change them to indicators.

How are the euro rear bulb holders fit wise? can you use the US lenses and chrome rings?

Regarding front headlight will this fit my US 1970? http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3083&xSec=236
Mentions cannot fit earlier models without modifying...
Does this one have the sidelight bulb holder in it?

Cheers

Yep they are the right ones as long as you have the single screw in the chrome surround on your bus, the side lamp bulb holders are sold separately.

If you fit the euro bulb holders to the rear you might as well fit the euro lens as well, red & amber. No point in fitting the euro holder and fitting the us red lens unless you play the coloured bulb game, but I'm not convinced that works.

Right on, I do only have one screw in the chrome ring :).

Yes I see your point with the euro lens vs green bulb...

Thanks again for all the info Graham.

Will need to see what I'm going to do...

Does anybody have pics of euro rear lights with reverse lights above?

My reverse lamps are now indicators.
Have you thought about fitting a period reversing light to the bumper?

mr scoops said:
My reverse lamps are now indicators.
Have you thought about fitting a period reversing light to the bumper?

Good Call, I used to have some bumper mounted reverse lights not sure I've still go them though, looked just like the Hella ones fitted to the bus but with a back and mountings.

It was a few years ago so hope I have found the correct link,
I followed this guid http://www.busandcamper.com/67-13w-rear-light-rewire-for-euro-lights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like you I wanted to keep the reverse light, I find them helpful when reversing at night and I really like the look of them as reverse lights.
I purchased a set of euro bulb holder from JK, to be honest they are rubbish so perhaps you could try the ones C&C sell or get your hands on some RHD rear light holders.
I retained my original red lenses and etc but fitted a green bulb.
The van has passed every MOT since.

I think from memory when I have shared this link previously Graham L has mentioned an issue that can arise with the hazard switch, I didn't experience this so perhaps Graham can tell you what to look out for. I will see if I can dig a picture out of the indicator on with the green bulb.

Hey Sam,

Great news and helpful link, Thank you!

Good to hear that the og lenses work and a green bulb behind makes it orange...
Wher did you get the bulb from?

The single reverse light is a good idea as well as I do like light at night.

Cheers!

No worries, I got my bulbs from e-bay I think they were about £4.

Before I sorted my garage lights out I found the reverse lights were the only way I could see where I was going and as I have about 2" spare on the right hand side I defiantly needed them.

I went for the reverse lights to indicators option to. Then bought a stainless steel hella replica reverse light and fog light (£19 each from Stafford Vehicle Components). Mounted them on the bumper, one each side

Halogen bulb to so give a good light

Latest posts