What if I just got a '73 camper , can I still hang in here ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
I like it here , can I stay ? :lol:

Just got myself a '73 Trinity camper conversion , original paint and some patina.
Trinity camper conversions where done in Ojai California , the company doesn't exist anymore but they did some interesting campers based on Deluxe buses in the late '60's and early '70s . I have not yet seen any split conversions from them , only early and late bays.
Anyways , this should not take much to get it road worthy and ready for Busfest , got my plane tickets , got me a bus so it's shaping up good already.
The bus belong to an old man , he bought it back in '86 from the original owner , he parked it in the back yard of his house and never moved it again.
Needless to say , it's a California bus with almost no rust issues , the bus is full of spare parts and other odd VW parts , I will start clean up and removal of old dirt and rubbish.

Here are the pictures from the Ebay when I bought it.

It sat on that same spot since 1986
While we were towing it from Los Angeles to San Diego one of the old tires blew up :shock:

I will load more pictures this weekend when I get to do some clean up , there are also lots of original receipts, manuals and even a picture taken when the old man bought the bus in '86 :D

I know there is Latebay.com , I am a member and I will start a thread there too but you are not getting rid of me that easy , I will continue to upload progress of this rare beauty :mrgreen:

First scans.
This picture is from when the old man bought it back in '86.

This scan is of the conversion brochure , on some pictures it shows the price of each feature.

It is always great to see a story like this, where another bus is being saved, and a new chapter of the story is starting! Nice one.

When I did the drive from LA to San Diego, it was bumper to bumper traffic!

adamski said:
It is always great to see a story like this, where another bus is being saved, and a new chapter of the story is starting! Nice one.

When I did the drive from LA to San Diego, it was bumper to bumper traffic!

It is always bumper to bumper in LA , on my way up to pick up this bus it took me almost 2 hours just to get by the downtown area , horrible.

Today I kept cleaning the bus and discovering the features of it , here are some more pictures.

Ripped most of the ugly and dirty carpet and underneat was an almost new mat and clean floor. Notice how the long seat has a bottom door.

Cooler just needs a good clean up but looks to be in very good shape.

Folding table and leg.

Double storage unit , found a new front curtain inside bottom door.

I'll keep on cleaning tomorrow , now is the front cab's turn.

Original manuals and receipts from Klein-Foreman Motors VW in Van Nuys , California.
Included is the pink slip and old registrations , it looks like I am the 3rd owner.

ib-bus said:
squareweave said:
I love the sunburned nose

Me too , anybody has any ideas how to protect it ?

Boiled Linseed oil wiped over the "burned" spots keeps it from getting worse and gives it that nice dark brown shade.

Example on the passenger side of this truck:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1340847242-668742-jpg.1676996

and on the left here:
838398.jpg

Wow !!! nice.

Of course I have never done this before , but this means I should polish most of the bus to bring back the original color and only apply this to protect the faded areas right ?

ib-bus said:
Wow !!! nice.

Of course I have never done this before , but this means I should polish most of the bus to bring back the original color and only apply this to protect the faded areas right ?

Polish the whole bus and then wipe the "burned" areas with Linseed Oil

Latest posts