What is a RUST Free Cali Import Front Beam worth?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinTopaway

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Something has been on my mind!

I have a 100% Rust Free front beam off a 1970 Westfalia Cali Import bus that i'm going to sell.

The question is!

What is it worth?

Only reason i ask is i have a TON of old rust free VW parts and never really put that much value of them...!

Whats ya views?

Ian

p.s Dan.......i'm making the deal with you don't worry! :wink:

£50

£100

£150?

£200

VW Heritage are £250!

What you guys think?

At Slough last weekend a stall had a late beam for £175 and a 68/9 for £195.
Both were very clean, beam and leaves only, but neither sold.

Id say between £150 and £200 in general is about right.

As Clem pointed out neither sold...

to be honest put them out at that ballpark and be open to a little bartering if your wanting to sell as its only worth what people are willing to pay or sit on it till you need it

bearing in mind you can get a new beam built from 250 upwards to suit your requirements.....

Araon said:
bearing in mind you can get a new beam built from 250 upwards to suit your requirements.....

Thats the thing, i think, few years ago everyone in the UK had rotten beams and importation was still in its infancy, now importing is being done by every other trader and many many vans are dry imports to start with, add to that the amount of scratch built units available and the demand has dropped considerably. A few years back solid beams were £250 all day long, now Id knock off a ton for starters.

Still masive demand for them mate so hold out for a good price, the fact that two beams did not sell at Slough is neither here nor there, afte all how many people had that sort of spare cash with them in the offchance there was a beam there. chances are they did sell via post etc afterwards.

More likely figure is £250 and even that is cheap if you need one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Rust-Free-RHD-Front-Beam-axel-for-baywindow_W0QQitemZ380078324102QQihZ025QQcategoryZ27385QQcmdZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However if you were in America!!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=656128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nic B-C said:
However if you were in America!!!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=656128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats only about £40 :shock: :shock:. Thats some profit margin when sws have them at £250 I know there are shipping costs involved, but they stack the vans full of spares when they come over.

Picked up a 72 compleate beam, with the one year only calipers on, for £180 earlier this year. :D

I think thats a private seller though and may just want shot, who knows what a lot of the importers pay but there again how much is a replacement new beam gonna cost you from the likes of creative Engineering etc

Thats also the thing, there are a lot of private sellers about with importing being so easy, and with new off the shelf beams being fitted .... and that affects demand and thus price, but hey, ask £250+ and if it sells then it was the right price.

it's an impossible question to answer.

a few years back i was looking for knackered beams to, er, stack up in my garage and do absolutely nothing with, and a guy up by clem's promised me one, and then there was a bit of a mix-up, and a mate wanted it, and so the guy gave it to his mate and blah blah blah so when i finally got round to collecting it, he didn't have a knackered one, so he just cut one out of a bus there and then for me... he was slicing through the handbrake cables and the shift rod and the steering linkage and there was me poncing about going "oh no, the precious german steel" but that's by the by.

the upshot of it all is that i ended up with the most mint bay beam i've ever seen... it's almost NOS in its magnificence, and far to good to cut up, (or actually use on a bus) and i can't remember if he gave it me, or did i get the beam and some side glass and some other bits and bobs for fifty quid... i can't remember - the point is that for everybody making a living, or pretending to make a living from gullible middle class bus owners with 600% mark up and all the rest of it (and i'm not knocking the traders... they can charge what they like... nobody HAS to buy the stuff) you can usually find somebody who just wants to help a fellow dubber out... they're still out there 8)

so your beam could be worth £30, could be worth £300.

*what a lot of help i am*

:oops:

Well i did an Early Bay special price and sold it for £100 to Dan to help him with his resto!! (he has a thread on EB)

The added hassle of selling on ebay and the gits taking £20 - £40 for the pleasure of selling it on there site i thought the better and sold through Early Bay :wink:

A bird in the hand and all that!!

Cheers for your answers guys,

Ian :D

P.s i have a garage full of parts from importing over 50 busses in the last few years so expect some serious deals to come up.....!

Starting with a full set of 1972 Front Disc's,Calipers etc etc fully serviced with new pads! £100 :shock:

TinTopaway said:
Well i did an Early Bay special price and sold it for £100 to Dan to help him with his resto!! (he has a thread on EB)

The added hassle of selling on ebay and the gits taking £20 - £40 for the pleasure of selling it on there site i thought the better and sold through Early Bay :wink:

A bird in the hand and all that!!

Cheers for your answers guys,

Ian :D

P.s i have a garage full of parts from importing over 50 busses in the last few years so expect some serious deals to come up.....!

Starting with a full set of 1972 Front Disc's,Calipers etc etc fully serviced with new pads! £100 :shock:

Got my shopping list ready :D Ill forget that new cooker for her indoors this christmas.

Latest posts