What is the difference between these two Dynamos?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
I am about to sell some Dynamos I have had on my shelf for a while but noticed that one has different connectors compared to the other and wondered what it was from / for?

Essentially, it looks like it still has the two posts, but there is no obvious place for the 'Earth' which is usually screwed into the Dynamo casing?

IMG-20200101-135835.jpg

The Dynamo below shows the normal type, which I was expecting the above to be like as well.

IMG-20200101-135723.jpg

:sign0009:

I was going to give a, serious answer but then it is Friday night, scotch night....... :roll: :oops: :D
And I reckoned you would have thought of a screw missing in the earth holding position. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OK I am going now. .............. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
I was going to give a, serious answer but then it is Friday night, scotch night....... :roll: :oops: :D
And I reckoned you would have thought of a screw missing in the earth holding position. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OK I am going now. .............. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

:lol:

To be more precise, I am asking why one has the black plastic connector, what is special about it, was it fitted to a certain type of engine / VW? :)

sparkywig said:
I think that the first one is a 6V dynamo and has a connector for a clip on external regulator.

Now that's interesting! Might explain why my mate's old 12v Beetle never charged properly :lol: It was his Dynamo and gave it to me when he had a clearout.

I did a bit more research and it appears that black connector is supposed to be a '67 only connector, however it has been found in other years, both in 6 and 12v.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701894&start=0

It looks like the ones I have there are both 12v 30A, but the black connector is from a '67.

:party0021:

cunning plan said:
I did a bit more research and it appears that black connector is supposed to be a '67 only connector, however it has been found in other years, both in 6 and 12v.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701894&start=0

It looks like the ones I have there are both 12v 30A, but the black connector is from a '67.

:party0021:
Craig, my 68 Bug had the same dynamo. Also some 70’s 1200 Bugs have them.
Look on the markings, if it says 14V 30A it’s a 12V unit😃

Abel

Latest posts