What is this in the fuel line?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Watts

Reaction score
I am new to the Bay so don't laugh at me if this is a dumb question.

I don't have a manual yet so not sure what it is but need to know to help try and start my new bus

It has two lines into it.

And one out going to the fuel pump?

And one red wire to it?

What is this:
0my1968bayfirstdayhome16.jpg

Given yr missing the firewall and are new to Bays, I reckon it would be a good idea if you got an aircooled experienced mechanis to check it over for you. Could save you some muller in the long term. :)

The 68 dont have a firewall

trace the two inputs one will be tank feed the other?

You havent got a second reserve tank installed have you? or an lpg tank ?

Fuel change over relay?

ant said:
could be an electric fuel pump.

Thought of that , but it goes into a mechanical pump on the case in stock location?

1968 so yea no firewall

Is this a VW part? Or since you all aren't sure could it be a previous owners add on?

deffinately aftermarket as I said no bulkhead so should be fairly simple to trace the hoses, where does the red wire run to? is it following the loom out under the van? any strange un accounted for switches?

One hose goes to tank outlet other is a vent I believe? Can't see the end of it but goes back out of engine compartment?

red wire goes into loom headed forward, and yes there is an extra toggle switch. Iwll try it when I get a battery into it.

Starting to think it is an electric fuel pump, but would that work still running through a mechanical pump?

Is it a fuel supply cut-off solenoid? People put them on to act as anti theft or anti fire measure.

fredster said:
Is it a fuel supply cut-off solenoid? People put them on to act as anti theft or anti fire measure.

Not sure? But now I am really curious!! Switch isn't hidden though so not sure?

I will post what I find out when I get the battery for you guys!

Thanks for all the response trying to help!

Araon said:
The 68 dont have a firewall

trace the two inputs one will be tank feed the other?

You havent got a second reserve tank installed have you? or an lpg tank ?

Fuel change over relay?
doh :oops: Learn something new every day n all :D

Latest posts