whats the top speed approx for a 1600 early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedub-love

Reaction score
Hi All,I need to know what the top speed is for a 1600 early baywindow as i don't know if mine is under powered,mines doing 55mph max is this around what it should be? thanks for reading......

sounds about right friend......they all vary a little in speed dependant upon type of van etc and whats carried.....sit back and relax :mrgreen:

are you on standard profile tyres or low profile tyres? if you have a rev counter what rpm is this doing? is this flat to the floor?

Also depends if you are single port or twin port engine?

I cruise with the lorries... 56-62mph no proplems. It'll do more flat out, possibly over 70.

All stock twin port apart from a 4-1 twin pack exhaust.

55 seems a bit low to me flat out :?

Jim

55 flat out sounds a little down on what it could do, but mine is the same as ^^^ 1600 twinport, cruise at about 60 - 65 but have tried it up to 70 plus just to see, but my bus is virtually empty, as it it`s a rolling resto, but we got a bed in there and a radio :mrgreen: It may be just a little tired, what`s he like on juice ?????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

I can just about overtake a lorry in the crewcab with tilt fitted 1600TP with progressive and massive flat spot

A stock 1600 twin port bus in good order will do at least 68 mph. This was the figure quoted by the maker which, for VW, meant they could all do it. In practice many were in fact a little faster.

Back in the day they would sit on the motorway all day at their top speed - they were deliberately over engineered, which meant that even flat out they were not over stressed. Thats one of the reasons why, compared to other vehicles of the time, VWs were so reliable.

Unfortunately this reputation for reliability meant that, as the vehicles got older, they were considerably more neglected, botched and run into the ground than other contemporary vehicles considered less rugged at the time.

Vehicles like Morris Minors and Landrovers also suffered this.

My old 72 with a 1600 twinport used to cruise @ 70mph, but would drink the petrol at them speeds.
My current splitty cruises @55mph with a 1641 twinport but reduction boxes.
I thought even an early bay would be faster????

1641 twin kadron 40,s 3500 rpm cruises at 58 -60 i always try to cruise at about 3300-3600 rpm anything beyond and youre using more fuel for little or no gain ive had it upto 75-ish and it was at 4300 -ish on the rpm van was ok but i wasnt [didnt seem fair on the old girl] so ive promised not to do it again.. :lol: maybe its me but everything seems to be purring at 3500 rpm and they seem happy to run all day at that without stress but if youres is 55 flat out we need to know what youre rpm is if youre engines screaming at 55 then theres an issue if its doing 3500 rpm at 55 but struggles to hold it there then you may be down on power and theres many reasons for that some simple some not so simple might sound daft but are you getting full throttle when you floor the gas pedal..?... :mrgreen:

Echo what geenjay said, get someone to push the accelerator ( with the engine off ) to the floor and then check the lever on the carb is at full stroke.My tp std 1600 do 56/60 nicely about 70 flat out.

Marriedblonde said:
Are the early bays not single port though so making a lot less power?

:lol:

3 hp more and less torque than a single port.
I've just driven down from Hereford to Bristol along the A449 and flew along at about 65mph on the GPS, although the fuel gauge was rapidly receding as well.

They don't half go with a tail-wind :shock: : :lol: the wind pays a large part in my distination these days ;) made it down to Gwithian Cornwall in about 3 1/2 hours, 190 odd miles last August & was towing a Camp-let trailer tent, so we averaged nearly 60 MPH & a tad over 27 MPG not bad for a totally stock 1600TP & Gearbox me thinks. :) Took 4,1/2 hours though to get home, Motorway tail-backs. :shock: :x
There are many varying factors to top speed, VW always claimed a cruzin speed of 65 mph but neglected to say a top speed on their 1968 brochure for the clipper microbus, :roll: there are times when I have been over 70 but not for long
besides it gets bloody noisey & cant hear me tunes. :x :lol: :lol:

At 55mph max theres definitely something not right, single and twin ports are good for cruising at 60 - 65 all day as long as they are in good order (my lads 1200 in his beetle cruises at 60 with no problem) and all of these are based on Sat Nav readings not speedo.

All of my buses have always been able to cruise at these speeds with no problems whatsoever.

As suggested above have you checked for play in the throttle cable in the engine bay resulting in the carb not fully opening?

Latest posts