whats the top speed approx for a 1600 early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did over seventy once in the bus but the fanbelt snapped and the gen light wasnt workin, and then neither did the engine!!!
gen light now works as does the new motor we cruise a 55 and 3500rpm, so dont know what it will do but still wants to go more, but dont see the point really.

john the horse :)

I got the speedo on my bus to 80 once, so probably 70-75 in real figures. 100% standard 1600 at the time, must have been a good few years ago.

That said, I don't like making mine do high RPM for long periods, so I tend to sit at 55 on the motorways. More for my ears and to avoid doing silly high RPM. I'd like a higher ratio gearbox...

That said, I don't like making mine do high RPM for long periods, so I tend to sit at 55 on the motorways. More for my ears and to avoid doing silly high RPM. I'd like a higher ratio gearbox...

problem is with a higher ratio is if youre 1600 has the power to hold and maintain the speed especially when you meet a hill with a taller 4 gear on a stock 16 you might find the power dropping quicker than a lady of the nights under garments... :deadhorse: .. :mrgreen:

gee said:

problem is with a higher ratio is if youre 1600 has the power to hold and maintain the speed especially when you meet a hill with a taller 4 gear on a stock 16 you might find the power dropping quicker than a lady of the nights under garments... :deadhorse: .. :mrgreen:

I've now got twin 36mm Dellortos, and mine is a tintop with a lightweight interior - doesn't normally struggle too much on motorway/A road hills. ;)

You have a point, but in the long term I'm likely to go for a larger engine than the 1600 :)

ahh :oops: get you now im running 1641 on twin 40,s plenty of torque and staying power rag top micro very little weight none of that camping malarky to lug around so a taller ratio would be ideal for us lightweights... :mrgreen:

Remember the fan likes revs...

With a higher ration 'box you're asking the engine to make the same about of power(heat) at a lower rpm, thus the fan is not cooling the heat as much as it would at a higher rpm.

I think traveling with the lorries is the best 'speed' as then you're not getting in peoples way. On the motorway that is. On 'A' roads I do tend to slow down a little if I can to (as mentioned previously) ease the strain on my ears. (I must get that sound deading/insulation in one day soon!)

Jim

i don't give a stuff why your lawnmower won't go faster than 55 - but why the hell am I getting e-mails every 2 minutes asking me that very same question?
:roll:

joker said:
i don't give a stuff why your lawnmower won't go faster than 55 - but why the hell am I getting e-mails every 2 minutes asking me that very same question?
:roll:

just learnt its accidental spam.

as you were. Try detuning your speedo so that it appears you're going faster
:lol:

john the horse said:
did over seventy once in the bus but the fanbelt snapped and the gen light wasnt workin, and then neither did the engine!!!
gen light now works as does the new motor we cruise a 55 and 3500rpm, so dont know what it will do but still wants to go more, but dont see the point really.

There aren't many places round your way that you can do over 60 are there? :lol:
Especially behind the tractors!!

Mine is a 1970 pop top westy with a stock 1600 TP and I've had 70+ out of it overtaking a lorry, never again because I nearly went deaf. The most I feel comfortable doing is 60mph and it returns a half decent MPG too :) well good for what it is anyway haha.

the_troupster said:
I think traveling with the lorries is the best 'speed' as then you're not getting in peoples way. On the motorway that is. On 'A' roads I do tend to slow down a little if I can to (as mentioned previously) ease the strain on my ears.

Ditto to this

mister said:
the_troupster said:
I think traveling with the lorries is the best 'speed' as then you're not getting in peoples way. On the motorway that is. On 'A' roads I do tend to slow down a little if I can to (as mentioned previously) ease the strain on my ears.

Ditto to this

Likewise - though just add that I'm not sure what "cruising speed" relates to - is this where you are only lightly on the throttle when up to speed or is it holding at a certain revs? Never worked it out myself?

Even after my 1641 and ICT upgrade I still bumble along with the HGV's (apart from those super quick foreign lorries :shock: ) - have had it up to 65 on GPS but need to fit a rev counter! My brother cruises not according to revs but according to his engine temp and oil pressure which I think is quite a good way to do it, though annoying as following him he'll be pootling at 50 then races off at 60, only to slow down again 10 minutes later :)

the_troupster said:

With a higher ration 'box you're asking the engine to make the same about of power(heat) at a lower rpm, thus the fan is not cooling the heat as much as it would at a higher rpm.

Jim

WHS without a doubt !

Marvel said:
john the horse said:

There aren't many places round your way that you can do over 60 are there? :lol:
Especially behind the tractors!!
i blow tractors away, its them pesky caravaners that bug me you know the sort!!

john the horse

the_troupster said:

I think traveling with the lorries is the best 'speed' as then you're not getting in peoples way. On the motorway that is. On 'A' roads I do tend to slow down a little if I can to (as mentioned previously) ease the strain on my ears. (I must get that sound deading/insulation in one day soon!)

Jim
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I tried to figure out what a good cruising speed was. I tried a 200 mile trip with a stock 1600 To engine in a 7t.Westy.
Doing 50, the engine purred happily on, raising the temp to 110C. Revving up to 55 raised the temp to 115C. That still wasn't enough to keep up with the lorries, so tried getting to 60, but that raised the temp even higher.
I always heard 120C was a no-go on air-cooled engines, so here's what I'm at:

1 cruising at 68 seems plain impossible to do.do. I can get to 60, but keeping this as cruising speed seems to overheat the engine
2. could my temp sensor be off? Or am I interpreting it wrong? It's a dipstick model
3 the engine's been rebuilt 3 years ago. But I don't think it's missing any tinware...
4 The fan likes revs, but revving too high generates too much heat for the fan to handle.

Reading all your stories here, I guess something is wrong.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

In my own limited experience, 60 is the maximum speed as if I go much over that I get oil splashes in the engine bay. If I keep it under 60 its fine.

I don't have an oil temp gauge, but it seems to me (with my 4 years old 1600 TP) it doesn't like going over 60mph. Mind you I don't think with stock set up, suspension, brakes etc, I wouldn't want to go over that.

Quite happy to slowly overtake the lorries who are mostly limited to 56mph.

Re overheating. If your tinware is ok, and your sender is working then check your timing. Too early or too late and things will be too hot in the cylinders.

Latest posts