Wheel Bracket and Badge

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davechorlton

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have taken off the front wheel bracket that was fitted to my van. It was held on with 4 bolts. I ave been left with somw kind of captive nuts.. They look like they are in exactly the same place as the badge pins. I want to put my badge back on, so before I try and do this.....

Can any tell me how big the holes are for the badge clips?

I'm not sure how to get rid of these nuts, and need to work out what hole I need left..

Cheers,
Dave

So some googliing leads me to believe they are rivnuts. Not sure of the holes they will leave will be too big though.

Just need to know what size the holes are for the badge clips and then I can do some guesswork, or just glue the badge into these rivnuts!

i remember those rivnuts being a right pain in the arse to get out. i drilled through the centre of them with ever increasing sized drill bits until the metal was thin enough to collapse with a set of grips, then pulled them out.

the holes that were left were in the same position needed for fixing the badge to the front, although a bit big. so i just used a bit of filler to correct that.

Aha. Thanks
That was what I was worried about, that the holes would be a bit big.

I suppose the badge doesn't weigh much. Did you just filler the clips in, or use fibre etc?

Dave

i just used filler to cement the badge into position as the badge is light. not one for the purists i know, but it works & don't look like falling off.

Cheers. My bus is never going to be a show winner so I'll risk removing the rivnuts and have a crack at it.

Not done this myself - but could you leave the rivnuts in place & screw in a bolt with the correct sized hole drilled through it ( brass or plastic if possible ). When I say bolt I mean a headless one, or one with a slotted end to aid insertion.
This would save the pain of removing the pita rivnuts.

Phil.

That might be possible. The thread in the rivnuts only looks like 6mm, so perhaps I'll find the badge clips and see how far off I am and see if that might work. There is a slight lip with the rivnuts, so it looks like a washer, so what ever I put in can't sit too proud or the badge will look odd. Thanks for the suggestion. I think you are right, why not leave the rivnuts rather than expose bigger holes and then fashion something to fit.

Latest posts