• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Where, oh where, has my Danbury gone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eileanbreagha

Reaction score
Desperately seeking my 1970 Danbury known to be on/or just off a SORN around Fareham Hants.
When we had her we were the third owners only. This was in the early 80s - mid 90s. She had only been in Winchester.
She was soft orange and white. We were moving to Scotland and building a house, so no time/cash for what she needed.
Three years later we saw her trundling happily along near Glenfinnan viaduct - she knew the way, she had been there many times with us. We flagged her down and spoke to the couple and found that they lived in Southampton - since then apparently according to DVLA she has changed hands several more times, and has been on a SORN for two years in the Fareham area. The SORN ended on 1st April 08. Has someone been lovingly restoring her, or is she forgotten in a field. Please look for her and let me know. Her number is CCG 567K. When we had her she had the badge on the front, but when we saw her she had had a wheel put there.
We now live in Wales and need her again.
EB

I live in Fareham (!), and as a postie I get around the area quite a bit! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you and report back if I see her!!

If it's a '72 would it be a crossover? Was it lowered? Stock wheels? Any other info would be useful...

Juss

;)

looks like she is sorn again until april 09 http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp & do a vehicle inquiry.

Thanks folks - no, not lowered or anything like that when we had her - we are not into that kind of thing, we loved her just as she was. Don't think there were any particularly distinguishing marks. We had a tow bar and the back bumper was slightly bent where my husband forgot about the tow bar and backed into a very low wall.
The original brown fleck covers on the seat cushions were hidden by very nice soft yellow and beige check zipped covers which were made of incredibly strong material which withstood the depredations of our five children and large boxer cross retriever mad dog. She had a lifting roof of the fibreglass rounded shape and red/white stripe 'canvas'. Also the original red tartan bunk material had been eaten by mice and I replaced it with some orange folkweave type material which was still in it when we saw her in Scotland.
We went to the VW gathering at Uttoxeter on Saturday, hoping to see a Danbury for sale, but there were none, so I'm still hoping to find out about our old one. Probably she won't be for sale, but if I knew she was ok, that would be nice.
I had checked the Sorn a few days after it ran out, but could not work out if it was on another one, or if she had been put back on the road. As she should be tax exempt she would not have a licence I suppose.

Hi, I replied to your query on another forum too.

Can't offer much help, but I'm a Danbury owner and 'fan', and I'm not too far away from Fareham, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. If it's about in our area I'll eventually spot it, I'm sure! :)

I know how you must be feeling. My folks had a Danbury many years ago. I never wanted them to sell it, but they did. :cry: It was about for quite a few more years after we sold it, but it doesn't show up as having been taxed or sorned now for some time, so I fear the worst, but I still scour the adverts and forums just in case she re-appears. :)

Good luck, and let us know if she turns up in the meantime. :D

Doug

Thanks Danbury Doug and Justin Muttley. I did wonder whether to contact all the garages in the Fareham area in case any had done any work on her. I had also contacted the Secretary of the Hockey Club there as I thought he would know lots of people but no response - probably thinks I'm mad :roll:

On subjecting OH to the third degree, we now think that she is a cross-over. He remembers someone saying that that combination of lights/vents/bumpers or something was only done for ten months. So she is probably 1971ish not 1970 :?

Aw, that's a heart touching story, I hope you find her.
I am nowhere near Fareham so am of no use whatsoever, but will keep my fingers crossed xx :D

Don't know if this would help...
Organisation
Cool Flow VW Club
Location and Contact
Chris Hull
Liason Point
The Golden Bowler Public House Stubbington Lane
Fareham
Hampshire
Telephone: 07780 990030
Description
Services and activities offered: Trips to VW and related shows, social outings. Discounts with parts shops and mechanics. Advice for purchasing VW's, collective for second hand spares. A social evening every Wednesday, all welcome.
Charges: Only T shirts and car stickers available for small fee
Restrictions: None
Special needs catered for: Pub type access
Times: Every Wednesday 9.00pm on til closing (8.30pm in the Summer)
Last Updated
Friday, June 16, 2006

Thanks so much for the contact no. for Chris Hull - Sadly the Cool Flow Club isn't around now, but fortunately his 'phone no. still gets him. We had a nice Danbury chat and he will put the word round amongst his vw contacts in Fareham for me. So very grateful and will let you know if we have any luck.

EB, here is another local club, based in the Portsmouth area. Its forum seems quite active, so it might be worth putting a post on there.

Here is the link.......

http://www.pkwclub.co.uk/index1280.html

Doug :)

eileanbreagha, I also am desperately looking for a Danbury - one that used to belong to my late father ( HYY874K :mrgreen: )

I don't recognise the registration that you're looking for, but I will make a note of it and keep an eye open when I am looking for 'my' van.

Can I ask how you managed to find out that it is in or near to Fareham? :)

Hi Wolfiegirl - like the name -
It looks as if your vw is still on the road - she is red? and the tax is due for renewal on 1st August this year. You can get this info. from the DVLA site - you just put the reg.no. into a box that comes up if you press 'vehicle enquiry'. It tells you if it is taxed or on a SORN - I don't know what comes up if it is scrapped.
I went one further and rang up to ask if they would forward a letter to the registered owner. Apparently they have a form especially for this, but they have to be sure that it is for a good reason. I told her all about our camping holidays - three times a year for ten+ years every school holiday to Scotland, and eventually she did let slip that ours was in Fareham. You might or might not be that lucky - she should not have told me even that much really. I have not filled in the form yet, as it is quite fun trying to do it via the vw sites, but I probably will soon.
I'll keep a look out too - good luck
EB

I might try phoning the DVLA then :wink: I did write to them, twice, including the official form for my request but they wouldn't help :cry: I also sent them a letter to forward to the current owner - that came back as well!

I've asked on lots of different forums, but no luck. My van has had 13 owners now and I still hope that someday one of them will see one of my posts and contact me.

There seems to be a trend running here with Danburys!

Wolfie Girl, I've been keeping an eye out for you too.

I browse various forums and veedub sites, and always look out for Danburys, whether they be for sale or just featured by their owners, or just seen in other people's photos at various meets etc.

I've only just bought my own Danbury after a 20 year break from them in our family. I'd love to have had our old family bus back, but I fear it is no longer about, although you never know, it could be sitting in a barn somewhere and maybe one day it'll make a re-appearance.

Anyway, like I say, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for you both. :)

Danbury Doug said:
There seems to be a trend running here with Danburys!

Wolfie Girl, I've been keeping an eye out for you too.

I browse various forums and veedub sites, and always look out for Danburys, whether they be for sale or just featured by their owners, or just seen in other people's photos at various meets etc.

I've only just bought my own Danbury after a 20 year break from them in our family. I'd love to have had our old family bus back, but I fear it is no longer about, although you never know, it could be sitting in a barn somewhere and maybe one day it'll make a re-appearance.

Anyway, like I say, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for you both. :)

Thank you so much :D
I like the Danburys too, if I buy a T2 I'd like a red Danbury crossover like my dad had. With original interior of course!

I guess you have checked DVLA for yours Doug.

I just hope when I find mine that she is still a Dan, and has not been 'modernised' with one of these flatpack Westfalia interiors, or even worse, been lowered or given some weird paint job. She was a dignified lady and would not like that at all.

Just off to put some notices on the Portsmouth site. Its called Portsmouth Kleine Wagons, and seems to be for bugs and other stuff too. Does anyone know it?
EB

Off to bed now - dream of Danburys, perhaps dream where to find them - thanks to all who are looking for our lost ones

EB, yes I checked on the DVLA site, and I think it now says its registration number is not recognized, whereas before it said something to the effect that it hadn't been taxed/sorned for some years :cry:

The good thing at least is that if yours does turn up, and you do find her original interior has gone, they do turn up for sale from time to time (fairly cheaply sometimes), so you could at least change her back to having a Danbury interior, even if it isn't original to your particular van. :D This is something I would have done with my folks' old bus had it turned up witout its original fittings.

My Danbury is going to stay completely original. It will keep its stock wheels and stock ride height! Eventually, when I can afford to, I will have her stripped back to bare metal and re-sprayed in her current and original colour scheme. Oh and I will need to find a new or not quite so battered rear bumper! :D

Look what I found:

http://tinyurl.com/44r4pg

It's your van. But were these restoration pictures taken before or after you owned it? I know you said that there was a wheel on the front when you last saw the van. Maybe these people could point you in the direction of the present owner?

Wolfie girl you are marvellous :lol:
The restoration is nothing to do with us, we sold her around 12+ years ago :(
I have speedily e-mailed the company to see if the current owner will sell her on.
Thanks, and thanks again, at least even if he won't I know that she is ok - silly but you feel like you have given away a pet when they go.
Thanks to everyone for their support too - I'll let you know the outcome.
My search engine has never turned this site up so I would not have found her without you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got to go shopping now as cupboards empty - kids will be so excited when they get in from work.
Jenny B

Latest posts