Which big bore heat exchangers are beat ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes although the bulk of his work is beetle based and generally 1776cc with standard heads or the stateside magnum style.

I tend to over spec things having come from a Motorsport back ground.
It took me a long time to except not having the best of the best then having that blue printed and squeezing every ounce of power from those components.
It's a different mind set that's required to build a reliable road engine that has power/performance against longevity and still financially viable.

You information has been extremely helpful and I will look into the spec and cost of import Mofco heads. Thank you.

*Sam* said:
Yes although the bulk of his work is beetle based and generally 1776cc with standard heads or the stateside magnum style.

I tend to over spec things having come from a Motorsport back ground.
It took me a long time to except not having the best of the best then having that blue printed and squeezing every ounce of power from those components.
It's a different mind set that's required to build a reliable road engine that has power/performance against longevity and still financially viable.

You information has been extremely helpful and I will look into the spec and cost of import Mofco heads. Thank you.

This was the spec of my 1776cc that was great in my bay:

Standard Forged VW crankshaft and stock conrods.

Mild performance cam: Bugpack 4061 with 370 duration and 396" lift

Oversized New Barrels (I think they were Mahle) & pistons.

Pair stock valve VW twin port cylinder heads, cut for 90.5mm (1776cc) with mild port, Stainless steel valves, heavy duty springs & aluminium rocker covers

Kadron carbs, with linkage, air cleaners etc. modified for use with vacuum distributor for improved acceleration and economy.

So this engine was fairly standard except the heads and the cam.

The van would 'fly' up hills and would cruise at 70mph with no problems at all.

How would you rate the performance of your current engine against the 1776cc

*Sam* said:
How would you rate the performance of your current engine against the 1776cc

Its hard to remember because i always used to be happy with my original 1776, then i had another 1776 (which wasn't as good), before installing the 2110cc engine.

The 2110cc engine is great, plenty of torque and plenty of power, you can go a lot faster in it than you want to in a bay!

I had to get a new gearbox with the same ratios as a 6rib, to get the best of the big engine. Otherwise i was in 4th too soon.

70mph is about 3200-3500 rpm now. 185 65 15 Tyres

So original 1776cc, great engine, happy at 70mph standard bay gear box
2100cc, amazing, loads of low down torque, needed new gear box for it

Depends what you want from your engine, what you use the bay for and how deep your pockets are

If you go down the 1776 route, go for torque and don't get a stupid cam

Latest posts