Which big bore heat exchangers are beat ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Sam*

Reaction score
I'm replacing my engine with 2007cc but want to retain my Heat exchangers, can anyone recommend a brand and tell me of their experiences of using them. At present my heating is excellent and want to retain that.

Cheers
Sam[/QUOTE]

well

I have been looking for some quality standard ones for my bus
and the CSP big bore are the only ones ive seen
but as to what they are like I dont know
but I know they are expensive sort of £200 each :shock:

Yes indeed they are big bucks, unfortunately running standard ones doesn't seem to be an option.

*Sam* said:
Yes indeed they are big bucks, unfortunately running standard ones doesn't seem to be an option.

I had the exact same thoughts when i installed a 2110cc type 1 engine.

So i asked the people who made the heads what they thought. Perhaps you could ask whoever manufactured the heads on your 2007. Hope this helps you - My email and the reply below:

Hi Roy

I hope you can help me with some advice please.

I have a 2110cc engine in my Bay window bus, paired with a set of your 042 heads. The performance of the engine is great, i'm sure a lot of it is down to your heads which my engine builder thoroughly recommended to me. I've since recommended them to others.

I am currently running the engine with standard VW heat exchangers, a bugpack exhaust header and a 2.5" stainless steel turbo muffler.

Should i be using heat exchangers running this 2110cc engine with your 042 heads?

There appear to be differing views on whether a big engine like this should be run with or without heat exchangers.

Some have said larger engines with 35.5mm exhaust valves will cause damage to cylinder heads if run with heat exchangers.

Others seems to say there will be no issues except a very slight loss in power if i stick with my heat exchangers.

I know the mofoco heads have extra cooling fins and im really keen to get your opinion please. I'm from the United Kingdom, which is colder than most parts of the US, if possible i would like to keep the heat exchangers, but i don't want to risk damaging the cylinder heads. Your advice and experience would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Paul

Date: 28 May 2013 16:58
Subject: Re: Mofoco 042 Heads, 2110cc stroker engine with heat exchangers?
To: Paul

Heat exchangers

Hello Paul,

Yeah, I always love this debate. Here is what I know for sure. Using the standard heat exchangers will not kill your engine. I do agree that you will lose some potential power but probably less than 5hp. If you are in the market for new heat exchangers, you should definitely buy the 1 1/2" ones. If you already have a set that are 1 3/8", I would run them. As long as the rest of the engine is set up correctly, you won't have any problems.

Please let me know,

Roy

I have been looking at the stateside magnum style heads they use 37.5 x 33mm valves. http://statesidetuning.com/offersother.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also been looking at CB performance specials 044s with 40x35.5 valves
http://bjsspeedshop.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also sent a PM to jonboylaw as his thread was really interesting and seem to suggest that stock valve size heads that were re worked were best for busses.
Running stock size valves would allow stock heat exchangers, I would of course dress the inside welds of the exchangers to allow as much flow as possible.
I'm not trying to build a monster engine as such as our westy is for family camping, I just want enough torque and power to make our yearly journey to Cornwall a lot easier than it currently is.

How do you find your engine ?

I have been looking at the stateside magnum style heads they use 37.5 x 33mm valves. http://statesidetuning.com/offersother.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://bjsspeedshop.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also sent a PM to jonboylaw as his thread was really interesting and seem to suggest that stock valve size heads that were re worked were best for busses.
Running stock size valves would allow stock heat exchangers, I would of course dress the inside welds of the exchangers to allow as much flow as possible.
I'm not trying to build a monster engine as such as our westy is for family camping, I just want enough torque and power to make our yearly journey to Cornwall a lot easier than it currently is.

*Sam* said:

I love my 2110cc engine, which does have bigger valves

I used to have a 1776, mild port and polish on heads with stock valves and it was amazing

I've also had a 'better specd' 1776 with bigger valves and it was not as good.

People, who know what they are doing, can build good and powerful engines with stock valves.

Cheers Sparky and Paul.
Apparently CB have a new head out that is "good for busses" I will have a look into them, I think the Stateside head is good bet as things are marginally bigger and valve job is done etc.

I want to try and run a bug exhaust back box with 2 bus tail pipes.
I know Dirty Harry gets on well with this set up and it's also one that Laurie Pettit is a fan off. If that won't work then I guess a Vintage Speed super flow is next price wise.
sparkywig you had a VS was it the super flow ? I remover you saying it wasn't performing to well for you.

Cheers Sparky and Paul.
Apparently CB have a new head out that is "good for busses" I will have a look into them, I think the Stateside head is good bet as things are marginally bigger and valve job is done etc.

I know Dirty Harry gets on well with this set up and it's also one that Laurie Pettit is a fan off. If that won't work then I guess a Vintage Speed super flow is next price wise.
sparkywig you had a VS was it the super flow ? I remover you saying it wasn't performing to well for you.

Was the VS the Super flow rated above 120BPH ? I would need to keep an eye out for a second hand Turbo Thomas. PS sorry for all the double posting, not sure whats going on with that, some kind of issue with the app on my phone.

sparkywig said:
I've just looked at the Turbo Thomas webpage.
They've gone up a bit..... :shock:

Yes not cheep bits of kit 1 mind you the Ahendorp from BAS motorsports is €800 and is a single can design.

*Sam* said:
Cheers Sparky and Paul.

Are you building the engine yourself or getting it done by an engine builder?

I went with mofoco 042 heads as they were recommened by my engine builder: extra cooling fins, 3 angle valve job, cast and machined in the usa
http://www.mofoco.com/category/VW_Performance_Heads/c52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do a full range from stock valves to bigger valves.

It seems at the moment paying for one to be built is out of my budget, luckily I have a friend who builds engines, he has kindly offered to help me build it free of charge so unless I am offered a fantastic deal from a supplier I will be building it. I am looking forward to the experience.

I will have a look at the cost of the Mofco heads and work out the duty etc on them.

*Sam* said:
It seems at the moment paying for one to be built is out of my budget, luckily I have a friend who builds engines, he has kindly offered to help me build it free of charge so unless I am offered a fantastic deal from a supplier I will be building it. I am looking forward to the experience.

I will have a look at the cost of the Mofco heads and work out the duty etc on them.
Your friend who builds them is probably best placed to recommend heads and engine spec then

Latest posts