Which dashboard?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadders

Reaction score
Once again, showing my lack of knowledge, becoming a bit of a theme I'm afraid ... and I'm assuming this is too general to be technical?

I've got LHD 68 westy with a knackered padded dashboard - is it just RHD that came with metal dashboards, or did some LHD? I'm sure I've seen LHD with painted dash somewhere or am I mistaken?

Actually, while I'm on the subject of stuff I don't know, my petrol flap does exactly that - flap. Should there be resistance on the hinges or is there a lock/catch missing?

Cheers

UK & Euro market Buses have the painted non-padded type while the US north America markets have the black padded type as it had to comply with U.S safety regs of the time.
As for petrol flap I think theres a spring type device, not had a problem so not sure. :roll:

Cool, that makes sense then ... mines from the states. Are they interchangeable or is it like for like?

I think some peeps have removed the padding & painted that although there are some holes for the padding to bond fix to it.
Yes you can change the Dash to a uk/euro style many have done it.

terrier man said:
I think some peeps have removed the padding & painted that although there are some holes for the padding to bond fix to it.
Yes you can change the Dash to a uk/euro style many have done it.

On a pre-1975, LHD VW Type 2, one would need the European specification, LHD dashboard, owing to the recess for the steering column.

and 68s have one year dash top ,smaller vents .not sure if recess is same as later dash ,69-71.

Balls, I thought this 68 thing would bite me on the arse at some point, but didn't expect it t be quite so soon!

One last question the, which might have been answered already, so perhaps just clarification - is it a case of only a 68 dash will fit a 68 bus, or just that that's what's needed to keep original.

I'll shut up then and head over to the classifieds instead :msn4:

think the dash bits the same ,just not sure about the recess for the steering housing,thats the only bit that will be differant,the top unbolts so can be swoped 8) have a later top in my 68 as og one rusted and had a 70/72 one on the shelf.bigger screen vents so helps demist .

if you want a painted dash then strip the one you have, the padding scrapes of easy and your left with a metal dash. they have a row of holes predrilled for switches for RHD that will need filling.

I think i'll have a go at scraping the padding off. its fecked anyway, can't look any worse

thanks all for insight

Latest posts