Which Exhaust?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabre

Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade the engine in my bay to a 1776 so I am in the market for a new exhaust system. I'm looking for something that is stainless and will not scrape along the ground on my lowered van. I'm wanting the new system to use my stock heat exchangers. I've looked at Turbo Thomas but he has a 6 week minimum waiting list for new orders, I'm ideally after getting something sooner than that! What are your favourite exhausts?

Cheers,
Karl

A low van and not scraping? you'll probably need a tuckaway side exit like the CSP python ( http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main.cgi?func=det&wkid=96501614788&rub1=Exhaust%20%2F%20Heating&rub2=Exhaust%20System%2DModified%2CComplete%20Exhaust%20Systems%2CBus%2013%2D1600ccm%20%2D79&artnr=22313a&pn=0&sort=0&all=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) which is pretty shallow but expensive.

this bluebird one ( http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/split%20bay%20exhaust%201500%20up.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) gets good reports and is fairly shallow as well.

I've got an A1 sidewinder coming with my engine but import costs might be high.

Thanks for the pointers. The Python does look pretty cool, but is rather expensive and probably warrants a bigger motor than I am going to be putting in! The bluebird looks interesting, I will do a bit more digging about that.

I have a Bluebird hybrid...Type 4 header/Type 1 quiet pack (it aint that quiet :mrgreen: )
I like that its built to original as supplied by "Autocavan" one of the top indie suppliers of VW performance parts. iirc Keith Seume worked there in his early days.
+ 5 year warranty

Don’t buy a CSP python exhaust if you have a lowered bay as I did and it touched the floor see pic.Spoke to machine7 who spoke to CSP direct and they said the python was to meant for any lowered vehicle not just bays. So I had my altered which machine7 paid for. The guy who altered the box said the system(Apart from the main box) was low grade stainless steel and even had a mild steel tail pipe.
Before pic
DSCF1750-1.jpg

after pics
DSCF1825.jpg

DSCF1826.jpg

Yeah I've heard the CSP one was crap from someone else who has installed one.

My bus is pretty much as low as yours, and I've got a Bugpack single quiet pack on mine and it hits every speedbump in Brighton :evil: . I'm constantly having to re-tighten the exhaust clamp as it works loose after so many hits and starts blowing. To be honest, I think the only way forward is to have one custom fabricated.

A good reference for this would be Evil Bens Westy.

stuartrx7 said:
The guy who altered the box said the system(Apart from the main box) was low grade stainless steel and even had a mild steel tail pipe.

low grade stainless aint a problem, most exhausts will be 304 stainless as 316 wont be warrented unless its on food etc but a mild steel tail pipe is just a piss take!! :roll: how much extra would it cost to make a stainless tail pipe really! ive look at turbo thomas stuff and i think it would be well worth the wait dude! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads up about the python! Can't believe that any of it could be mild steel for that money, and the thought of such an expensive system scraping over ever speed bump would turn me into a nervous wreck every time I see one!

Go for an A1 sidewinder, I zlready posted pics of mine here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?p=129831#p129831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best bang for the bucks

kombiporsche said:
Go for an A1 sidewinder, I zlready posted pics of mine here:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?p=129831#p129831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best bang for the bucks

i didnt realise the CSP was that bad :shock:

Vince, this is the same A1 exhaust i have order as well, so looks like i made the right choice. It looks amazing 8)

Having looked at the top-end exhausts, they all seem to be made to order and have long waiting lists so will take too long to be delivered for my needs - looking to have it fitted in time for this summer camping season!

So, I'm now looking at more basic stainless exhausts, eking every last bit of bhp out of the engine isn't really my primary concern. Has anyone heard good / bad things about the JK Single Quiet Pack exhaust? http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_split/type-2-split-performance-tuning/engine-parts/exhaust-system/sports-exhaust-stainless-steel-single-quiet-pack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks,
Karl

stuartrx7 said:
Just found some pics on T2D blog which shows how low the box sits.
dyn006_original_680_510_pjpeg_25501.jpg

dyn006_original_680_510_pjpeg_25-1.jpg
Think this is the splitty crew cab that lives round the corner from me. The pic may be a bit misleading, when on all 4 wheels it does have plenty of clearance. (yes, the bus is lowered) I had a look at it a few days ago and the owner said he had not had any problems.
However, the other pic showing 'before' on the Bay tells a different story. Don't see how it could be so different between a split & a bay??

Latest posts