Which master cylinder for a 68?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwllms

Reaction score
While bleeding the brakes today, the master cylinder started leaking a lot out of what I think might be the adjuster? (could be talking bollocks there, never touched brakes before except to adjust the stars on the wheels). Anyway, it appears to be as the French say, Le fucked. So I think I need to order a new one but can't work out which one would fit my 1968 LHD non-servo. The current one measures 85 mm between the reservoir holes, but I don't know if that means the replacement has to also or if I can just get a new one without worrying too much as long as its rated for 1968 onwards?

Cheers

Adam

Take a picture of it and post it up ..

I found that mine (for a 70) was actually a different one to listed at the suppliers and I had to take it to GSF to find one the same.

You do need one with the same distance for the resevoir ports as it doesnt come with it.

Check see if its single circuit or dual circuit and call Heritage:)

Hilly

Thanks, I'll pop out tomorrow and take a pic. Ideally once my dad comes round after work and I can get him to press the brake down to see where the leak is. Pretty damn sure it's dual circuit.

So, I can't just get a 100 mm + reservoir to fit that? I am jumping the gun slightly as perhaps it's fixable but wanted to order the part in time for the weekend so we can sort it - or it'll be another week lost.

not sure if the bolt pattern to the chassis is the same or the clearance for the resevoir differs .. someone will advise!

If it is single then its probably worth changing to dual.

Mine leaked from the front where the push rod goes in .. it seems that once its pushed too far in it damages the seals on the rough part of the bore causing the leak.

Slight word of warning though .. my first replacement lasted a week before springing a leak again.

2nd replacement seems good.

Hilly

as said:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211611021Q/master-cylinder-lhd-t2-68-7-69-no-servo/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is your correct one to retain your Resevoir, But its out of stock,

Or as said:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211611021AE/master-cylinder-lhd-rhd-t2-8-70-79-no-servo/?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211611313G/brake-reservoir-lower-no-servo-100mm-t2-69-72/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

would be a cheaper way of fixing it and also they are in stock!

Thanks for that Alex, couldn't find the correct reservoir in my brief search for some reason. Will have a tinker tonight and if all seems knackered still, will make an order.

It's annoying though, just popped out and its literally a slight drip and brakes seem to work fine (admittedly only tried it in the drive!)

Okay, I have definitely stopped the leak by replacing the OG metal brake pipe that comes from the brake reservoir to the master cylinder (had a tiny hole in it!) with a rubber one and tightening up a nut on the master cylinder and putting clips on the hoses that feed and leave the master cylinder.

BUT despite bleeding, the bus now pulls to the left dramatically if I slam on in the drive. Any ideas? Could it be something jammed or need another bleed or something? Or have I messed up the system by replacing the metal pipe with a rubber one perhaps?

Cheers!

it highly likely a problem at the wheel rather than at the master cylinder in my opinion bud ..

Id say you've either a stuck wheel cylinder or incorrectly set shoes .. after that id check the flexi hose hasnt collapsed.

its only then id move to the master and front pipes.

Hope that helps

Hilly

Latest posts