Which Spark Plugs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldie

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well, I am totally in belief that I have a 1600 engine fitted to my bus but on removing the spark plugs today to renew them, post my first thousand miles of driving, I pulled out four W7CC's (long reach plugs)? The bus has driven fine since i've had it and I have checked the engine number which really isnt much help as it does not relate to anything I have found, but it is defo not the original! Do I stick W8AC's in as they should be the correct ones or replace with the same i've taken out? But if it should have short reach plugs then how comes it runs great with long reach?

has it got pattern cyl heads as some use long reach plugs w7cc would be right.

When i got my bus the previous owner had just got the lump of ebay and put in it. Ran it for a few weeks then took it to a local guy who does loads of work on old VW's. He found that it had long reach plugs in and took them straight out, said there not good and shouldn't be in there.

There is a chance it could be mexican, the bus is Californian and its defo a recon engine! Dont suppose I'd know for sure without pulling the engine apart? My thoughts are though,that if it was supposed to have short reach plugs and long were fitted then they would interfere with or even make contact witht the piston on the up stroke? If it is supposed to have long reach and I use short reach to be on the sake side, would this eventually degrade the performance of the engine? Really dont fancy trashing the engine!

For information, I measured the depth of the thredded portion on the cylinder head and it matches that of the thredded part of the long reach reach plug! So long reach plugs it is then!