whish exhaust for my bus?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a standard engine there would be no benefit of a larger exhaust. The JK will perform nicely & give a small power increase.

The restriction in a VW engine is in the heads. If you have a limited budget then get the heads gas flowed. GAC do them for £150 a pair for something like a 20% increase in flow. That's good power to pound ratio.

I am a tight wad, & had the complete engine with merged header on it. The 1641 has flowed heads, 110 cam, c/w crank & 40's so I know the engine will work well. It was built by GAC 9 years ago for a mate but hasn't done many miles.

A twin quiet pack always looks good on a bus, but often they don't sit square & are more expensive than the single.

Poppy-NewBack.jpg

This seems to sit perfect. I would be happy with that.

I put this straight on with no mods needed. Runs sweet on a standard 1600 and did give me a few more BHP which is good :D

I used to have a mondo stainless on mine, but it bottomed out on everything due to the low clearance of my van. I run the stainless QP now and cut, turned and rewelded the flange to set it up as high as poss, which is actually why it looks like it's at a bit of an angle.

My engine is no stocker though and is tuned to run a stinger. I just put the QP on for to-ing and fro-ing from the track.

ive got a 1641, twin 34s, running a 4 into 1 with bugpack single quiet pack

thinking of upgrading it, but not sure wether to get JK/Bluebird SS system, speedshop silencer, A1 silencer etc etc

want to improve performance and have an exhaust thatll last a bit longer etc etc

and opinions guts

Er.....bear with me on this.

If I fit a JK system, I assume that it will mount straight to the heat exchangers with no probs, but, am I right in saying that there is no plumbing for the air pipes from the fan shroud? If this is true then will this render the heat exchangers pretty much redundant cos there now won't be any air being pushed thru them and then under the bus to the cab, etc, etc....

There is a fair chance that I've just spouted a load of bollox in which case please refer to my opening line :lol:

Cheers

Ian

you can stil run the pipes from the fan to the exchangers ,you just use one piece and bend it round the exhaust instead of thru it

Any pics Strongy to give me a better idea? I ain't got my bus at the mo so I'm strugglin' a little to visualise what you mean.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts