Who sells the best extermal Mirrors?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxlFoley

Reaction score
Im on the market for some decent replacement mirrors, but like a lot of aftermarket parts a lot are pants and rust or just fallapart after one summer.

I was just wondering if anyone has bought some non VW mirrors that have stood the test of time, and if so where from ?

Ta

Mark

I have seen these and they look just like the originals (though I have not bought any since mine are still fine) - eg the stem is chrome and the mirror back is stainless. See what you think.

http://www.serial-kombi.com/index.php?Menu=Produit&Action=2&Idn1=2&Idn2=26&page=2&mod=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got stainless ones from C&C after various recommendations. Not been fitted yet though so can't comment on durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last stainless pair I had, you couldn't wind the lock-nut far enough out for the thread to reach the captive nut in the door! Poop!

I went through 3 sets & they all either snapped when you tightened them up, or flapped back like puppys ears (at 30mph) & rusted, each time I kept getting better quality ones. The last set were suposed to be german OEM (or something like that), all were pants.

In the end I spent £50 on a pair of used originals, they were the best things I ever bought & possibly the best £50 I have spent in a long time.

Not to say there aren't any good ones out there, but I spent a fortune looking & didn't find them.

ZedBed said:
The last stainless pair I had, you couldn't wind the lock-nut far enough out for the thread to reach the captive nut in the door! Poop!

I heard of this problem too. :(

Seems weird that somebody would go to all the trouble of manufacturing such a part and then not make the thread long enough. Surely a comparison with an original one and a trial fit of the pre production prototype would highlight such an obvious defect? :?:

i fitted hagus stainless mirrors and chrome arms there german made and i ve had no issues with them

AxlFoley said:
lobie - where did you get it from? I can only find a dealer in the US.

Thanks

Mark

i bought bought mine new of a guy on ebay try searching hagus mirror on ebay i think theres some on at mo for a £5 pair may need tidying up other than that auto jumble or vzi forum

sorry i can t help more ill keep a look out and if i see any ill send you the link

Trikky2 said:
ZedBed said:

I heard of this problem too. :(

Seems weird that somebody would go to all the trouble of manufacturing such a part and then not make the thread long enough. Surely a comparison with an original one and a trial fit of the pre production prototype would highlight such an obvious defect? :?:
Yes not very clever. The original design has wider tube just for the thread so nut can spin off the end, the copys have thread cut into a plain tube so nut jams before it reveals enough thread to screw into door. They were saving money re-designing it - if they'd made it 6-10mm longer overall it would have worked.

Used genuine from an autojumble. Takes a bit of time and effort but has to be the best quality. Payed £15 for a '68 lhd drivers door mirror, scraped the paint off, clean, polish, like brand new and it's the real deal. :D

Latest posts