Who's running a spare upfront

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_azza

Reaction score
Anyone running a spare up front ? My nose paint isn't great anyway but any bad things i should know about?

Took my spare off the front. Firstly I don't like the look. Personal thing. Secondly if the good lady is out on her own she cannot get it off the front (we have tested this). Third I don't think it would be safe in a crash. I know there is nothing in front for protection anyway but I think the wheel could add to the damage to the bus and us in an accident (I may be wrong but it's in my head). Fourth and most important my paint would get scratched

We're planning a large trip around Europe and only taking tyre weld. If the unlikely puncture occurs, I highly doubt I'll be jacking up and changing a tyre at the side of a road (as my luck would be that it'd happen on a busy motorway) so either way I'd be towed to a garage.
Plus we can't afford the lose the space.

I have been running the spare on the front since 1973. It's mounted using a stainless "top hat" bracket made by Ian Goulding, which fits onto the same mounting holes used by the vw badge.

It pulls the tyre against the panel so it holds by friction. It's strong and I stand on the tyre when washing the roof.

Its practical. I didn't fit it for the look. Back then it was a van rather than a fashion statement toy. I needed the space when camping.

As for damage, well yes, if you run head on into a brick wall then the tyre will hit a few inches before the bumper, so take care when parking. In traffic the front of a bus will dip under braking and I have yet to see a bus that rear ended another vehicle that did not suffer damage to the front panel. If your bus has lowered suspension, the front bumper will be below that of other vehicles all the time anyway.

Regarding safety I would not consider having more bulk to spread or absorb the impact as a disadvantage. If you hit something hard enough to push the whole front in then your toast anyway. Anybody that concerned with safety should not be driving such an old vehicle.

Keeping a tyre pressed against the paint will mark the paint and if its a pale colour the tyre will stain the paint where it touches over time. This means that if you later decide to remove it again you will likely need to re spray the front panel.

One thing I do notice is that the extra weight makes the bus a bit less affected by cross winds.

Some people I know keep the spare inside and simply take it out when they arrive on site.

Another possibility is to not have a spare at all and hope that if you get a puncture that its a minor one that can be fixed with a can of goop. I hear they sell some new cars like this. This is not an option for me though because I have a habit of going to fairly remote places where self reliance is important.

When my bus arrived from cali the spare was 'nose mounted' and a previous owner at some point over the last 45yrs had run into something head on, i wouldn't say at speed but it took an age to get the front panel straight during resto! :(

Liam

^^^ I like the look too, a nice painted wheel and chrome hubcap. Mine came from the States with a bracket on using badge holes - oh, and about 12 pop rivets... [ANGRY FACE]
Odd though, the original cross ply was in the usual place in the back with the mustard vinyl cover.
Most of the holes are covered with the VW badge, just a few extra ones round the sides. My front panel is bashed anyway, so no biggie.

Cheers

Alistair

Oh right cool thanks I think I'm gonna get myself a bracket and offer it up see how I feel
It's mainly for space reasons cheers

At Aircooled 14, this was last year obviously, I had all my tyres filled with carbon fibre (I believe) and I got to say so far so good. It`s promoted as a permanent solution to punctures and at the demonstration the chap was smacking large screws and bolts into an inflated tyre then levering them out again. I still check my tyres pressures quite often and there has been no need to inflate more than the odd pound every now and then and I put that down to the bit that gets lost when you check them. It is a fairly modern solution to an old old problem. This is not to be confused with the tins of gunk to get you home and is also re useable when the tyres are changed.
As usual I`m with Tricky on the safety aspects and anything that is between me and an accident especially if it`ll spread the shock is a damn good thing, but these old busses just ain`t great at inspiring confidence in frontal impact situations :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but we still loves em :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mine has the wheel on the front. It has the original interior fitted, the rear cushion fits right across the rear. So no room for the spare.

having the wheel on the front SAVED me and my van last year, after being in an accident. Was told by the bodyshop it helped spread or absorb the impact

Also my spare upfront, just because I need the space in the back for my bed ;)
I guess it's mounted with six bolts and a triangle plate (never taken it off yet myself):

bus8_zps51b1ab0c.jpg

bus3_zpsdf2aec4b.jpg

Now with a hup cap in the right color:

IMG_1385kl_zpsfcba8aa0.jpg

I learned to put the spare located that place from my father, but don't use my roof (yet) :mrgreen:

TV-97-29_10_zpsc604b323.jpg

TV-97-29_9_zpsa49cb7ce.jpg

Might be that the "Riviera" company moved them to the front when they fitted out our buses :D :D :D

Davydomes said:
I had all my tyres filled with carbon fibre (I believe) and I got to say so far so good.

Sounds a good idea! Can you remember the name of the company?

I can`t remember my own name most of the time so that`s buggered that then :lol:

I got it done at Aircooled 14, and Graham at Midland Early Bay sorted that one so I`m guessing he may have had him there as a trader. I bet if you P.M. Graham he would know the name of the outfit. Apparently the military uses this system now and a lot of local councils too and I`ve met a few peeps that have been running it longer than me with no issues.
It works like hairs blocking a plug hole with big ones getting stuck and then the gaps gradually being filled by smaller ones and smaller. It sounds Heath Robinson in my description but I think that`s an over simplified version for muppets like me :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, G will know, or my dick`s a kipper :mrgreen:

Me too, though my wheel carrier has very short studs - i.e. the wheel has to go with the outside face, inwards, or the studs don't reach the holes. Hence need a fabric cover as can't put a hubcap on the wheel's rear face...

Just to 'thread-bomb' -does anyone have any reccomendations where to get a new front mounted spare cover made up please? Ta! R

ozziedog said:
Davydomes said:
I had all my tyres filled with carbon fibre (I believe) and I got to say so far so good.

Sounds a good idea! Can you remember the name of the company?

I can`t remember my own name most of the time so that`s buggered that then :lol:

I got it done at Aircooled 14, and Graham at Midland Early Bay sorted that one so I`m guessing he may have had him there as a trader. I bet if you P.M. Graham he would know the name of the outfit. Apparently the military uses this system now and a lot of local councils too and I`ve met a few peeps that have been running it longer than me with no issues.
It works like hairs blocking a plug hole with big ones getting stuck and then the gaps gradually being filled by smaller ones and smaller. It sounds Heath Robinson in my description but I think that`s an over simplified version for muppets like me :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, G will know, or my dick`s a kipper :mrgreen:

Alright Ozzie?! Here's the link to your original post inc the fellas web details. http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60373&hilit=puncture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope your well pal. See you at DATC. :D
Gaz.

Dickie 524, I had that, take it off and have long ones welded on from the back then then its facing the right way for a hub cap 8)

Latest posts