Windows

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

My soon to be delivered 71 has a choice of side windows with it - i.e. microbus (with opening side vents), or camper (westy louvres) but I can't decide which ones to put on the bus?

When rebuilt the bus will be used more as a day bus than a camper - so I guess it would make sense to go with the microbus windows.

Regarding security, how secure are the louvre/westy type windows? Are they no better/worse than the microbus/side vents?

Are opening windows more hassle than they are worth - and should I just fit a full length glass window?

Any advice (text/pics)?

Cheers,

Mike

Do you mean the sliding microbus windows or the opening quarterlight ones?

The sliding ones are nice, but security is an issue. The opening quarterlights ones are good, but the frames do rot out rendering them useless and leaky.

Westy louvres are good as you can have them open in all but severe rain, and they offer a peace of mind security wise, plus the mossie nets are usefull also.

So, on balance, Id go for the Westy ones, but appreciate they can dominate a van, looks wise.

Hi,

They are the quarterlight style. They are currently fitted to the sliding door window, and also the rear side window (drivers side RHD).

I do sort of like the westy louvred windows - and appreciate their practicality - but the quarterlight/plain style does give the bus a much cleaner look.

Cheers,

Mike

I love the look of fixed plain windows, but not so good in the hot sun. You could have the door open I suppose but not while driving.

The small quarter lights rot the door frame as well as its own frame, so would avoid those. The large, half glass sliding window is a nice option but will let the rain in.

Although I hate the look of my Westy louvers, I think they are the most practical. Visibilty is reduced though, & my LHD is awqward to drive.
(The wardrobe way don't help)!

West louvres FTW.:D They look bling bling when the are all polished up....

DSCF0589.jpg

Wow! Polished up Westy's!!! I'd never even thought of that!

Though I guess you'd have to continue the bling style with some chrome/aluminum wheels?

Anybody got a set of those slot mags from that retrobay place (?) fitted to a bay yet?

Cheers,

Mike

Latest posts