windscreen washer pump?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebin

Reaction score
hello

i have a 1970 bay and i am trying to work out how my washer sprays work? as i have just started to re build the dash after 2 years and i have a button in the middle of the turn switch for the washers and was wondering if it is a manual pump or an electric one ?

ta

jimthebin

jimthebin said:
thanks for that

just wondering, do pump up using the valve then take the pipe and valve off then replace it with the pipe that feeds to the washer sprays?

jim

No - you pump up with the valve, which pressurises the bottle, which always has the washer spray pipes connected. Electric retrofit kits are available, but I like the old technology.

Trouble with pumping up is you have to remember to do it. I had to hot-foot it down to the MOT station with a bicycle pump last time.

The 'air pressure' washer are the favourite part of my bus, electric ones are just crude compared. I carry a small bike pump in the glove box.

the tyre valve on mine must be missing, i have a large gap valve more then 1 inch across i cant find a pump big enough, even bought one of those universal air bed pumps and the adapter were way too small. :?

The tyre valve is on the end of a short piece of rubber hose about six inches long.The other end of the hose goes into a plastic adaptor which screws onto the top of the washer bottle.
From the washer bottle at the bottom, another thin rubber hose comes out and goes to the switch,from the switch it then goes to the t-piece and then to the jets themselves.

When I first filled mine half way with water then air I had some leaks,mainly from where the pipes join the switch.I just trimmed a centimeter from the end and put it back on which sealed it.Also the jets dribbled a bit for a while,but this stopped after using them for a while.

I like it the way it is,I wouldn't go to electric unless I couldn't get the parts any more.

I think it's one of the cooler and more quirky aspects of owning a VW - such a simple solution, too - but I've never known what PSI to put in mine, does anyone know?

;)

I always liked the bug idea where the spares charges the bottle problem arises when you want to use the spare :shock:

There's nowt better than getting a dirty windscreen and having no pressure in the tank to wash it off :roll: :D At least the beetle one has the pressure from the spare wheel to use :D

I have driven down the road wildly splashing a bottle of water out of the window to clear the screen :lol: usually forget to repressureize the bottle :roll:

probably on there somewhere :wink:

Justin & Mutley said:
I think it's one of the cooler and more quirky aspects of owning a VW - such a simple solution, too - but I've never known what PSI to put in mine, does anyone know?

;)

on my bug it says 36 PSI max id guess its the same with the bus

Latest posts