Windscreen washers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
The windscreen washers on my '71 is losing all pressure after a day or so. Can anyone advise on the best place to start, ie is there a likely culprit before working my was through everything?

What's the best way to check, is it just a case of buying new parts until it works? I can't see any evidence iof water leaks anywhere but there's obviously a leak somewhere

Many thanks

Not sure if this help and some people don't agree but I had an electric washer installed. Push a button on the dash and bingo! Much easier than the pressure system.

Yeah, considered it but the horn is already on the dash so just trying to minimise the clutter tbh.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dacia-Dokker-1-6-ACP-Universal-Screen-Washer-Bottle-and-Pump-Kit-Trade-Price-/351018306135?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51ba524a57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And hid it behind the kick panel (as my bus didn't come with a bottle!)

Then I did this:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks totally stock and works very very well.

Liking that idea :D

Do you know if an electric motor can just be added to the existing washer bottle ?

The hoses get dried out at the connections, so maybe this is where you are loosing pressure. The easiest and most inexpensive troubleshooting ... check behind the switch to see if there is a leak when pressurized. If yes, depressurize the system by releasing air from the valve (not the refill cap otherwise fluid goes everywhere), pull one hose off the back of switch at a time, trim a couple of centimeters, reattach, repeat for the other hoses, pressurize, give it a try. Do this at the bottle end too and hopefully that is the fix.

How long should a properly functioning system keep pressure?

Mine keeps pressure for at least a month, but I do drive my van every day and wash the windscreen with it often.

I don't know how long it would hold pressure for if I didn't use it, I guess at least 6 months. It should be no different to a car tyre at holding pressure should it?

I did however replace all the hose for new 3mm silicone about 4 months ago, cost about a fiver.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

I've checked all the hoses and I think that theres a slight leak at the feed into the wiper switch. I've trimmed the hoses and refitted and also tried a different switch but it's still there so I've decided to go the electric route as per pow.

I already had a spare switch which Ive drilled out and fitted the microswitch too. Can I ask, the plunger is now a lot looser as presumably previously it was held loosely in place by the internal seals.

Have I drilled to far or is this always the case and you now just rely on gravity to keep it in place ?

I'm hoping to use the stock washer bottle so am just awaiting the arrival of an electric pump ... one less worry at MOT time !

That's the only downside, I have had the idea that I'll take the switch out, pop a little blob on bluetak on the end and hopefully the plunger won't be so loose!

pow said:
That's the only downside, I have had the idea that I'll take the switch out, pop a little blob on bluetak on the end and hopefully the plunger won't be so loose!

Good idea, and at least I know I've not done some thing wrong !!! Thanks for the help

I had to side cutter a little bit of the end off my plunger lol

jonboylaw said:
If using a stock bottle with electric pump remember to drill a small hole in the bottle cap else you will end up with a vacuum after a few presses.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I would have definately overlooked that !

Latest posts