Windscreen wipers....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt100

Reaction score
1972 / 73 crossover bay....

Hi.... getting the van ready for the MOT on Monday, and thought I'd adjust the settled position of the wipers.... thought that this should have been a simple job of whipping off the domed nut of the wipers, and moving it around a spline and then re tighten....

Wished I hadn't bothered, as first twist of the spindle domed nut saw it sheared off!! I then undid the lower nut of the spindle to see how it all works, but even from underneath the dashboard I can't see how it attaches, and hence what replacement part I need.... can anyone advise / help please?

In desperation, as I must have the van MOT'd in Monday, I have drilled a hole in the end of the splice end of the shaft, and tapped it with an M5 thread. I then put a small M5 bolt in there holding the wiper on. For good measure I also took the sheared domed nut, filed it down a bit, and then superglued it over the botched M5 bolt head of my repair!

Result looks good, and seems to work actually ok.... but I don't like botches like this, and if anyone has experience of what bit I need to replace and how then appreciate any help...

The spindle is part of the actual wiper motor / linkage assembly, so the least you'll have to do is whip the entire mechanism out. It should then be obvious whether or not the spindle alone can be replaced.

The spindle can be replaced.

And it looks like your in luck because they appear to be available and currently on sale too.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211998161E/wiper-spindle-left-or-right-t2-8-68-79-vwb-ba/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/9-038.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thankyou.... will get one on order whilst they are on sale...

Having a poke underneath the dash today it doesn't seem that obvious how it all comes out, I'm guessing it's a case of motor and mechanical asembly all together, then change the spindle bit? May be that I see how long my 'bodge' works, if I buy the spindle now, then I'll have it when it does give up....

You disconnect the arm off the back of the spindle and then release the clip that holds the spindle in its tube and draw it out.

It can be done on the vehicle but unless your a squid it requires some dismantling of the dash.

Latest posts