Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... Bit of an update having got Winnie back all nicely Waxoyl'd ... Thought I had some time to do a few bits before she went off for Upholstery but she is now going into Vipertech for kitchen fit this Saturday :shock:

First Job ... Get the Insulation fitted, used Dodomat 10sq metres ... but need another 3sq metres to do the cab floor

... we also did around the poptop and cab roof ... then Gillian introduced Henry to Winnie

... the on off sunny weather gave a brilliant example of how Savannah Beige changes in the light :D

Overcast

Sunny

... Fitted the Coolair Gear Shift Improvement Kit, and it does exactly what it says on the tin ... finished off with a wooden Wolfsburg knob (didn't think i'd be using that sentence today)

Also added the renovated script badge

... and a belated Christmas present for the van ... a posh name badge

... I wasn't happy with the 4 - 5.5" drop that the Red9Design kit had given me, the bump stops had to be removed and I wasn't comfortable with it at all.

Luckily for me I knew someone willing to swap for the 2 - 4" drop like for like, so i fitted them last night, re-installed the bump stops and will feel a lot lot better driving over to Vipertech on Saturday morning.

... it was one of those told you so moments from the Wife, but I have to agree the ride height now is tons tons better and I'll probably get away with reverting to original front tyres too :D

So Winnie made it over to Vipertech Conversions with no real drama ... sun was shinning, quarterlights were open and she was happily bobbing along at 50-60 MPH ... speedo's a little bit faster than GPS but I can live with that. Glad I had the tracking done (it was off the scale) and removed smart car tyre's off front and had some others fitted to match the rears, she handled so much better.

Vipertech HQ

Leisure Battery & Hook Up Fitted

Stu's down south for a week so, I'll be picking her up on Friday and running her over to Anthony Ward at Dubholstery for the trimming to be done ... then back to Vipertech for the final fit.

Hoping she'll be back to us complete by end of June

Few updates on the Interior progress ... door cards are due today so hopefully should all be done by next Friday fingers crossed :eek:

Flooring and Rusty Lee Bed fitted.

Speakers and Hook Up done.

Kitchen Fitted

Propex is underneath Kitchen bottom shelf

Those aren't the real cushions ... Gone for a Montana Brown Faux Leather, which hopefully will look the business :D

Few more from Vipertech's Update yesterday

Better example of the worktop colour

Nifty table storage

Aged Montana Faux Leather ... mmmmmmmmm :D

Epic resto!! :confused0068: Can't wait to start the bodywork on ours this winter :party0049:

Had some roof boards made to maximize the use of space.

All ready for collection to go to Dubholstery where the trimming/door cards etc will be finished

Hopefully that'll be all sorted by the end of next week.

Amazing work - bet you cant wait to get out and go camping! 8) 8)

Thanks - wish I could take some of the credit for myself :lol: ... She's coming home Saturday morning, first trip planned for end of month ... Long time coming (and probably getting there too :lol: ) can't bloody wait :D

So we picked up Winnie from Dubholstery on Saturday, so pleased with the trimming that Anthony has done ... just a few jobs for me to finish off before we go on our first trip.

Pop top Canvas dressed in New headlining also sorted ... what a difference that roof makes

Kitchen Pod in place ... propex under plinth

Not normally a fan of speakers in the doors ... but these little Blaupunkts are pretty subtle

4 Nice LED Retro Lights ... shame about the wires on show, that will play on my OCD'ness ... i'm sure

Porta-Loo in Buddy Seat ... Stationary No.1's only please

View from the rear

So glad we had the R&R bed done in off white ... Spare wheel cover done, but i'm still unsure about whether it'll go inside or on roof-rack.

Another Door view, we've done the cab floor carpets now too.

Seats have been totally stripped and refurbished ... really comfy now and fabric feels more like a suede

Frankie has already staked his claim on the rear seat ... he was so at home in there, probably beacuse of all the beige and browns lol

Bit more finishing off done yesterday, in the searing heat (have to say that the dodmat insulation did keep the inside of the van fairly cool) ... Retro Mudflaps fitted too :D

This is such a well restored Bus, beautiful inside and out!
From the pics, you guy's attention to detail is second to none...

time to enjoy it now? 8)

Cheers for the comments ... first trip away this coming weekend (Aberporth in Wales) and as ever i'm up against the clock to get everything finished for Saturday morning :shock:

How difficult is it to get speaker wires through to the doors :evil:

Silent Gliss curtain track fitted all round very nice to work with, even around the cab area ... didn't swear once ;)

Kick Panels to be fitted once i've got everything neat and tidy behind them

"It's not fire that kills - it's ignorance ... Oh and smoke, smoke kills" ... Fire suppression system fitted

The Mrs did a cracking job stitching these edges together and despite her bleeding fingers, she didn't spill a drop

Immobiliser fob reaches perfectly with key in ignition

New knobs and handles ... had to shorten the handbrake lever as I couldn't get the pin out, but now I can select 1st gear with handbrake on for those tricky hill starts, so every cloud :D

Any half decent photographer would've removed that plastic bag :lol:

Glovebox still to finish, just need to mount 2 USB sockets and a do bit of wiring for all those "life on charge" necessities.

Pleased to say we finally got our first weekend away with Winnie and she didn't miss a beat ... 430 miles covered from rainy Lancashire to sunny Aberporth in Cardigan Bay and back and she absolutely loved it, 360 miles on a full tank too so i'm happy with that. So pleased with the interior, we both had the best 2 nights sleep in ages and didn't want to come home. The B433 is a lovely drive and she never struggled once with any of the climbs ... Well done Winnie !!

Winnie having a breather en route (also trying to encourage our dog Frankie to have a pee lol

All set up on camp ... we had a drive-away awning with no instructions and a broken pole ... so we did pretty well in getting it sorted much to the amusement or our neighbours

Interior is mint ... it feels so spacious inside and is brilliant when you're set up for the night.

Frankie ... Get To Bed !!

Amazing job and well done to both of you. Enjoy the ride.
Noticed the extra shelf whilst parked. Have the same in ours and we ended up putting our clothes there.
Amazing how we find those little things to make life easier. Enjoy.

J & P
:D :D :D

Amazing job and well done to both of you. Enjoy the ride.
Noticed the extra shelf whilst parked. Have the same in ours and we ended up putting our clothes there.
Amazing how we find those little things to make life easier. Enjoy.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks for the nice comment ... you're right, those boards were a great idea, I got Stewart at Vipetech to make 2 and one stays in the van and the other is used as a table top in the awning. Great for storage too when the roof it up, and the camping chairs and fit up there nicely when travelling ... we've definitely got the bug now ... booked for Cumbria once i'm back from the US next week.

Of course Winnie was cleaned polished and safely put away in her new home for the first time before i left yesterday :D

And she even went in with the roof rack on ... result

Latest posts