Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic update!!!!!
Glad to see your out & about in it after all the work, interior looks champion!!!
I have garage envy mind!!!

Well it's been a while since I last posted on here with work & that ... we did have a previous weekend away, but the horizontal rain 70 mph winds (we were right on the coast) and the fact that the site started flooding on the Saturday afternoon mean't that we had to make a very sharp exit indeed ... On the plus side, Winnie got us home safely, albeit soaked (it was the acid test for how weatherproof she was) but soon dried out once plugged in overnight at home.

Anyway, after a much more successful trip last weekend, I thought i'd update with some pics. Fitted a new steering damper prior to travelling and what a difference that made

The site was called Queensberrry Bay Site at Annan, just a bit left from Gretna, the site was first class.

Got back Sunday and tucked her up back in the garage, hopefully 1 more trip away this year weather permitting ... She never missed a beat ... Happy Days :D

graysummers said:
Oh. By the way, Aberporth is down the coastline from my place. Revisit Wales at anytime and visit Ynyslas and Machynlleth to Aberdovey and beyond. You'll love it.
Thanks for the kind comments, we absolutely loved it down there.
Went to Poppit Sands ... what a beautiful place, I'll make a note of those places you mention :D

Thanks for the kind comments Matt ... the rear corner and rear arch were welded together then filled. Chris then masked up the seam position and used a dremmel to cut the grove. If I'd of tried something like that it would've ended up like a dog's back leg lol ... it looks brilliant close up too. Guess some people have just got great artistic talent [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's MOT preparation time ... I'm just itching to get her out on the road again.
* Fitted Electric Washer Bottle
* Engine Bay Inspection Light
* 12V Socket in Engine Bay
* Dash Vent Heaters ... pics to follow.

Found these from our 2nd to last trip of the year - Ended up at Wigtown Bay just off the A75 it was a long drive at the end of November, but well worth it when we got there for our weekend break.

The Van was filthy the whole time we were up there, but no point in cleaning her until we got home

The beach at Garlieston was beautiful, there was Snow on the Sand as well as Swans in the Sea.

Later Frankie was dreaming about his day out

As I polished off some Guinness.

Looks like a great break. Interested in your engine inspection light idea. What made you want this addition? Washer bottle....I love the old bike pump method, quirky. Brave to finish off all four bottles. That West Indies Porter isn't for the faint hearted. Alcohol % wise it rocks. Finished four once and my brain wobbled. Good luck with the MOT.

b0da43c7e7e15a4f686358fa9e20237c.jpg

Fitted 2 x 90w Solar Panels on the back of the garage to keep Winnie on charge while she's parked up [emoji106] I have the electric to the garage off when I have a tenant in the house. These 2 bad boys give me all the light and power I need [emoji16]

gas1man said:
Brilliant bloody idea!!! Hope you don't mind if I use it at a later stage.

J & P

Thanks for that ... please feel free to do so [emoji12].

d6fb8c647e9a1ff4b72e471cacb4d3c7.jpg

I've split the Solar circuit coming in ... 1 leg feeding the MPPT controller in the garage (supplying leisure battery, inverter etc).

The other leg supplies a smaller MPPT which I've mounted inside the Engine Bay, that feeds Winnie's leisure battery and car battery when the split charge flips over. There is also a load output from this controller that feeds surplus voltage to a rechargeable LED inspection lamp, that I've mounted above the engine. It's removable and can be used elsewhere, but at least I know where it lives [emoji106].

I'll tidy up the wiring around the hook up plate now that I know it's working ... and was pleased to see we were at 99% when I got to the garage today.

Couple of little jobs to finish before our 1st trip of 2017

Roll on Friday [emoji106][emoji322]

7f890bcd9fd655b0f85f5340df430f11.jpg
9964e12dea4d1ea4b50edfe15fb1b044.jpg

All loaded up and ready to go for the 1st trip of 2017 [emoji106][emoji322][emoji3]

8d5e978ae725e22585fe460e982d1eea.jpg

Woodlands Caravan Park at Devils Bridge ... cracking site

2df57c3def748e7b15228dd4a6be660b.jpg

Bought this little gadget off fleebay to monitor the engine bay temp ... gets up to about 27deg in there after a long run.
Rocker switch now powers the MPPT controller as it doesn't need to be on if Solar isn't connected [emoji106]

2079624f36c2878877b3230e3c6a6513.jpg

Engine light works a treat too [emoji106]

a6f5375995748c163692a9290ac13305.jpg

And of course this little fella has loved every minute of it too [emoji3]

ba83e576bc54cf92f16d295e7d8ac0f0.jpg

As did we [emoji106]

Glad you enjoyed Devils Bridge. Near our place. Well, about half an hour away. Surroundings are amazing too. Elan Valley. Well worth a trundle through from Devils Bridge via Cwmystwyth to Rhayader. Dams are amazing. Although the TV programme Hinterland portrays a darker entity, it shows the views of all around my part of the country. Just visited Nant yr Arian yesterday with the five grandkids to watch the Red Kites feeding and walk around the lake. Hope you had a great visit.

Thanks we had a fab time, went to Aberystwyth South beaches too ... lovely.

fa6a7411cad3fe030471eb828672d008.png

D'you know we were trying to remember what TV Series that was when we saw the Hotel, for some reason we thought it had Christopher Eccleston in it, I now stand corrected.

Had to carry the dog down Jacob's Ladder, he was having none of it ...
2f75fc8c81cdd380542ef4dcf86efe50.jpg
... was rewarded for my efforts though

... and we were amazed at how many Red Kites we saw, during our travels ... superb [emoji106]

I'm alway in doubt, as my westy was originally white bus has been repainted savanna beige along the road, but my god does that look good on your van. Not going to doubt any longer!

Awesome pics - you are making some fantastic memories!
Any links to the light you have fitted in the engine bay - could do with installing one myself!
Keep them coming! 8) 8)

911gt2 said:
I'm alway in doubt, as my westy was originally white bus has been repainted savanna beige along the road, but my god does that look good on your van. Not going to doubt any longer!

Cheers for the comments ... the colour was a real dilemma for a while, I think lotus white is a really cool colour but I don't think it would've worked with the interior we had.

We are so pleased with how it turned out [emoji106]

Latest posts