Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Matty. Was the valance seal easy to put in? When I got mine back from the garage just before lock-down, I noticed that some of it had pulled out, just round by the plugs - same area as your pic shows. Is there a knack for doing it as I kinda tried but it looked impossible - do you have to slide it all in from one end?
Cheers

Hi mate,

I removed the valance itself then fed the seal through with the aid of some fairy liquid so that the excess was equal on both sides. Then put the valance back in place and fed the excess seal into the spark plug channels on either side then bolted it back in place.

Luckily I didn’t have to remove the bumper [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice bit of work on the van - simple but needed.

Like the mask on the dog :)

Did mine last summer when the new engine went in. The rear and side seals were easy with some silicone spray. The front one under the fan shroud was a nightmare [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Managed to get round to the garage this afternoon to do the fuel lines ... it’s the last job I had on my list of things to do before declaring Winnie ready for action.

Anyway all done [emoji106] No pics but I’m sure you can smell the fuel as you’re reading this [emoji85][emoji1787]

We should’ve been going to France today for a fortnight ... obviously all cancelled so it will be prolonged UK holidays in Winnie once sites are back up and running.

Now that doesn’t sound bad at all [emoji106]

So we finally got away to celebrate Winnie’s 50th Birthday.

We managed to get booked onto a lovely site near Caldbeck Cumbria for 6 nights called Wallace Lane Farm (CA7 8DL) Dog / Child friendly with nice clean facilities.

We wanted to cover all the bases, regarding social distancing etc so have now added a gas camping shower to our kit along with a small paddling pool as the shower tray, we bought it to use at festivals (should they ever be permitted again) and wanted to have a trial run ... blimey it’s brilliant. We’ve set the back 2 rooms of the tent up as our mini bathroom, with the heater just outside the awning whilst in use, works a treat.

Did a few jobs on Winnie during lockdown, including switching from an 009 to a Single Vac Advance dizzy to match the Solex H30/31 set up (SP 1641cc).

Managed to source a Bosch 113905205T, with a good vac can, stripped, ultrasonic cleaned and refurbished it with new fibre washers, shaft felt etc.
Timed it to TDC @900rpm (Vac port plugged) and wow what a difference.
We really were fully loaded on our way up here from Croston and there’s some really long hill climbs (eg after Lancaster and after Tebay services) and she was going up hill unbelievably well, I have a save my bug dipstick on and it never even got close to flickering on the whole journey.

Took her out to St Bees Beach yesterday without all the weight and it was even more fun, could actually take roundabouts in 3rd and pull away in rolling traffic in 2nd fantastically well. So glad I went down this route, I bought a few so carry a spare as It’s so reliant on the advance not failing.

9704e4c0e06d60d63a38c0cade9a6bc0.jpg

d812c49e767ae90359fe6da6df399ef6.jpg

77b5df4f0bdadc306e625cd8c1ac0ffe.jpg

db1c9530370b967c293cc3c3353f11d9.jpg

33e288eb7812fb9a6adbbf738f23a6de.jpg

64205856c4d01b1b3e3ca78c144449ec.jpg

2b335ae57a1f656f04790461e05deece.jpg

Frankie has told us that we need to be hammering the trips now for the rest of the year ... no excuses or sitting in the back garden drinking [emoji1787]

mike202 said:
Great to get away for a camping trip! [emoji41]
We’re still at the planning stage.

Like the personal shower option, very en-suite. [emoji23]
[emoji1787] I was sceptical to say the least about the new en-suite arrangement, but it’s bloody brilliant. Got a small pump to empty the waste water into the wastewater container, then a quick mop and pop in the fan heater while we’re out and about and it’s nice and dry when we return. The water heater works a treat with propane, it’s better than some of the showers I’ve had at home [emoji1787]

9b76a47ef79e9b49e81ed1e54d7784bc.jpg

We managed only our 2nd outing this year, due to obvious Covid restrictions, working throughout and the wife self isolating either side of a throat operation last month.

Found a cracking site about 5 miles inland from Rhos-on-sea called Plas Farm. Superb pitches, Covid compliant, all facilities open and open all year round too. emoji106]

2b6fa37e681447f33f38350e14a5df85.jpg

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and while the above pic radiates tranquillity, it was actually blowing a gale. So much so that we were unable to put up the awning or the roof. We backed Winnie into the corner, put up the wind break and hunkered down with beer wine and bar snacks ... by teatime we were in no fit state to light a fire so we continued with a diet of beer wine and bar snacks.

8b05aaacef3014f7d6af79c9c7e57633.jpg

Everything was so much calmer the next day, well apart from my head, so I managed to get the set up complete under Frankie’s expert supervision.

4f3fbaea6b716143f0b9ba0873dbd2b4.jpg

Then is was off to the beach at Rhos-on-Sea for a day out, much to Frankie’s approval.

7c358e16d14c69dcd1621aed2556e847.jpg

We got back set up the Cobb and had tea to this beautiful view before shutting shop up for the night ... fantastic day [emoji106]

74c4691699c660fd4a4bf1aa303f06c8.jpg

Tuesday was just as nice so we ventured back down to the beach to build on my T-shirt tan some more.

3e22074a93736577127f087fe9c68bc0.jpg

Then back for another amazing tea time view.

3727faeb8a934c9f161e766dbc01e488.jpg

Stretched Winnie’s legs a little further on Wednesday due to low cloud around Colwyn and ended up at Aberffraw on Anglesey. Weather was glorious as was the ice cream, Winnie enjoyed the 90 mile round trip followed by Fish & Chips on the promenade at Colwyn Bay.

2686b5cddf6bedf766695640c5a5dfec.jpg

Van’s driving great, the single vac advance has made a massive difference on the hills, plus I’ve just changed the shifter to the newest Vintage Speed model with the Porsche style bushing.

I wanted something that was going make changes easier than the Empi I had been running with it’s very narrow H ... First impressions are really good, it’s a wider H and a longer throw but the offset means that 1st doesn’t clash with the handbrake and 4th sits close to your left leg, which is great when the wife is driving as she was previously hovering around trying to find the stick.

3rd to 2nd is a breeze and like the guy says in the video, there’s no vibration [emoji1787]. It’s really well built, trigger reverse is great, I actually think they’ve got it right this time. I guess only time will tell.

5a94f447af7376049c8b4860386a4330.jpg

Frankie hasn’t been concerned with
any of my gear changes this week [emoji1787] and we’ve still got 2 nights left [emoji322][emoji481]

399341d65ecede1e637aa57bc0c8dc9f.jpg

Cheers Mike ... more Beer changes than gear changes today ... had a peaceful day at base camp [emoji106]

Great bus mate you have done it proud, make sure you get regular undersealing and waxoyl

I don't know how you drove it 400 odd miles it must have been really noisy, cold and £100+ in fuel but yet your smiling (weirdo)

I'm very new to my old westfalia who is also 50 years old this year, She really doesn't feel 50 when driving

I got grand plans too but budget is very tight

All the work that goes into these smashing old beauties or beasties is working towards the dream, driving them is the dream for me and obviously you guys too :mrgreen: When I’m out camping anywhere, lots of beer (Stella) is a given, lovely chish and fips is a joy, and ice creams in sugar cones is to die for :lol: Looks like the perfect trip all round :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, showers is posher than wet wipes :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Looks and sounds like a great jaunt! I do love it up Anglesey way, but I've never taken the bus... maybe next year 😎

Latest posts