Wipers acting up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister

Reaction score
Hello
Drove the bus home from work tonight, it started raining so switched on the wipers, they went reallly slow... like they were dragging/scrapping across the windscreen....with an audible straining noise. They have never been particularly smooth or fast but have always worked fine.
So does the mechanism under the dash need lube or not? As it seems like they are being restricted. So before I contort myself like Houdini with the silicon spray under the dash, is there anything else to consider?
Cheers. Andrew.

The spindles can corrode and cause those symptoms. Disconnect the mechanism and try moving by hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

refurbished mine over the winter, spraying from underneath will do no good I'm afraid as everything that needs lubing can only be lubed by being dismantled. only takes 15minutes to remove, then follow the manual to find the problem. Its all pretty easy stuff, but DO Take some good photos of the at rest position so that reassembly goes well.

A quick remedy that might work is from the outside to remove the blades/arms. Then you should be looking at the top of the wiper shaft where it emerges from the brass bearing. Squirt plenty of WD40 or whatever between them, then start the motor up continuing to squirt, hopefully there will be an improvement as the lubricant gets to work. This has worked for me in the past and saves unnecessary groping around/dismantling under the dash.

Thank you for your replies chaps!

vwed said:
A quick remedy that might work is from the outside to remove the blades/arms. Then you should be looking at the top of the wiper shaft where it emerges from the brass bearing. Squirt plenty of WD40 or whatever between them, then start the motor up continuing to squirt, hopefully there will be an improvement as the lubricant gets to work. This has worked for me in the past and saves unnecessary groping around/dismantling under the dash.

Gave this a go as a quick fix, the shaft/bearing was full of crud and squeaking loud, so after some penetrating spray, a quick clean and some silicon lube they were running smooth again.

Thank you!

Latest posts