worn accelerator linkage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
The accelerator linkage on my crossover is dead worn/rusty which means that i can get nowhere near full throttle, ive tried replacing the pivot under the pedal but this has done very little. It is my understanding that late bays had a much simpler system with less to go wrong, so i was wondering if anyone had ever done a transplant? Or is there a quality rebuild kit available?
Cheers, Luke :D

I used the kit from heritage( web site says out of stock)
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts%5CBus-Parts-1968-79%5CHand-Foot-Controls%5CAccelerator%5C?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JK do the same kit
http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/accelerator-linkage-kit-right-hand-drive-j10672.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheer harlequin, but ive already fitted that bit an found it of very poor quality. the play is mostly in the crossbar which runs through the chassis rail, its very worn and elongated (why didnt VW put it in a brass bush, seems logical to me!) Hence why i was thinking of late bay linkage.

The early bay linkage setup is a bit poor innit, the very late bay is better but still not great.....I have been thinking along the lines of a bush or even bearing based setup, Im sure it cant be that hard to do. how nice would it be to have a pedal that gets full throttle with ease and snaps back to idle without the need for an industrial strength spring on the carb! :lol:

TBH I havnt seen much wear on the crossbar going through the chassis rail.

The wear has so far always been in the ends of the link bars and the holes they go in. The main culprit is the pivot in the bracket fixed to the floor under the pedal.

All the pivots can be welded and ground/drilled back to round which removes all the free play. I remove the pivot bracket from under the pedal (drill out the spot welds) and then weld in a small tube so the pivot is supported over its length rather than at each end. This, kept lubricated, means future wear will be negligible.

Latest posts