Worn ignition barrel or wiring? Cant start with key

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

le catweasel

Reaction score
The '68 has gotten to the point where i cant start it via the ignition. It turns on but when i turn it to start it both lights turn off and fuel guage goes to empty but nothing happens, it wont turn over.

Starting to get annoying now cuz its a 2 man job to start it when cold as the throttle needs feathering for a few seconds :lol:

Is it that the barrel is worn and not turning far enough or could it be wiring related?

Thanks

hi, that sucks but more info is needed to help: what makes you think its the switch or ignition wiring? what have you already checked? have you checked your gearbox earth strap and battery earth strap, starter wiring (quite exposed and often corroded), dynamo/alternator charging current, battery condition? or tried jump starting or using a known good battery? The ignition swich does carry a lot of current and they do wear out , but i would follow a process of elimination first as this may be simpler than you think.
hope this helps.
cheers , dave :D

As above check all earth's, I had the exact same problem years ago. I though it was the switch so spent hours making a push button starter to bypass the switch as I was on holiday after I had finished I tried it on the key just out of curiosity and the dam thing started, in the end traced it back to a big intermittent voltage drop on the starter/ ignition circuit, I fitted a Hot Start relay. Normal £3 relay and it cured the problem, since then I've renewed some of the wiring and the starter and jobs a gooden now without the relay, and I'm still on the exact same ignition switch :)

I had a similar intermittent problem...replaced lock barrel and ignition switch but it still did it.
Turned out to be a loose spade connector on the starter motor :lol:
Cheers
Al

Latest posts