worst job on a van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask what the little or large jobs on a van that really get on your nerves like changing a spark plug when you have twin carbs that get in the way,whats your worst job. Frankie.

Hiya Frankie,

Maybe not the worst job but certainly the dirtiest is repacking the CV joints.

Wear old clothes and be ready to burn them when you finish!

Installing converted panelvan windows .... :cry:

I like cv joints and front beams replacements and I take engines out for fun... 8)

: Converting to alternator without removing engine
: As mentioned plugs with twin carbs
: Doing up and un doing the nut's that hold twin carb manifolds to the heads
: Fitting headlamp stone guards

I expect there is more but i can't remember them :lol:

Replacing the crossmember between the chassis rails between the B posts, and the tophat section above, without a pit or ramp. As soon as my front suspension is back on the floor is coming out to help me get to it.

Installing fecking glass any glass with fecking reputed genuine german fecking rubber :x my fecking arse :x next time it'll be status rubbers and feck the cost...... :x

:lol:

Front clip so far. Just the number of chuffin spot welds!! Oh and lining the frotn doors up! :roll:

Def plugs on a twin carb lump and im not looking forward to fitting new heater cables :?

Window seals for me..real pain in the arse. Then they go and leak when you've finished

Replacing alternator with engine in :x - that and removing the chuffing nut on the fan whilst it's out without trashing the alternator (which I did :D)

grinding the spot welds off front arches to seatpan/innerarch,herman had a new toy and he was going to use it.i think he tryed to see how many he could squeeze in ;)

Getting the inlet manifold out for twin carb conversion with the engine in.........it will actually come out :evil:
Also getting the top nuts of the OG Heatx's was a pig, ended up stripping the tin back to get a spanner on them, took lots of tea and head scratching, but had to wreck them in the end :cry:

Getting 9" wide rear wheels in ;)
Putting in an 07' subaru 2.5 turbo motor :|
Fitting a porsche 5 speed box :shock:
Fitting 911 front suspension with r & p power steering :evil:
When will it end i am a numpty sometimes but if you want loads of power and reliability what do you do?

Having to install and re-install generator several times to get fan shimming correct - arggh! Next time i think i`ll just remove the engine!

Having to drill out all 250 odd spot welds on a donor tintop roof with a cordless drill that has a dodgy battery. That was quite trying.

Seperating the front gear shift rod from the longer back one in a very rusty van. Ended up cutting it with the angle grinder and welding it back together after blow torch and mole grips didn`t work!

And i`m sure there are many more to come!

Gear shift linkages are difficult to beat but... by far and away the most challanging - putting a late bay nose skin on an early bay - now that took time and patience.

It used to be replacing poptop canvas for me , but after installing 4 of them and finally getting my own proper tools I'm a canvas replacing machine :mrgreen:
So installing windows would be my current worst job on a bus.

Latest posts