• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: early bay brake backing plates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbantoy

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to buy early bay L/R side brake backing plates. As far I know those should be from -68 -> 7/70 (for wide five)

Pete

Your only hope of these is second hand ones from the states I think. They don`t come up very often and aren`t available as NOS . It`s not a real biggy to use the later backing plates and convert them to run early stuff. If you can use the search function, I did a conversion not so long back and it still works a treat, possibly a couple of years back.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, And you can`t see em anyhow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try Evam Classic in Holland - they sometimes have 2nd hand ones.

My son imported a pair from the States a couple of years or so back. He had to buy them from different vendors and they ended up costing about £75 each after Import Duty, VAT and the Post Office Handling charge

New ad on thesamba today:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1740859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not specified if they are front or rear.

ozziedog said:
Your only hope of these is second hand ones from the states I think. They don`t come up very often and aren`t available as NOS . It`s not a real biggy to use the later backing plates and convert them to run early stuff. If you can use the search function, I did a conversion not so long back and it still works a treat, possibly a couple of years back.

WHS ^ :)

I did mine same after the above advice,i think from memory basically if you swap mounting for adjusters over,they fit straight on...
(they are only riveted to backplate,from memory)
see here;
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frag said:
ozziedog said:

WHS ^ :)

I did mine same after the above advice,i think from memory basically if you swap mounting for adjusters over,they fit straight on...
(they are only riveted to backplate,from memory)
see here;
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks :mrgreen: That is just so cool when someone quotes something that you`ve done as being the best or possibly the only solution, so I take a bow and a little blush :oops: Just had a look at the link provided ^^^ and now realise that was a bit longer ago than I thought it was, time marches on when you ain`t lookin :shock:
Possibly I should think if they were very thin on the ground four or five or even six years ago, they would be a little more scarce now days, but still worth a little look I spose. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, How many years ago ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that they're even scarcer now as Kieft and Klok had a wanted advert for them on TheSamba a week or so ago.

It looks like more and more people will be following your lead.

Hi,

I have just bought new late bay backing plates, and will use all the earlybay bits inside, but modify the shoes as per ozziedog's thread, hopefully in the next few weeks or so, my regular dub workshop, Bob @ Restohaus will fit me in, and get it sorted. Being a pretty much daily driver, and me not having the time, it'll be off the road for ages waiting for me to do it....

Looking forward to proper brakes again. The clamp on the star adjusters is missing, and they keep un-adjusting themselves, pain in the ass....

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts