Zig Cf8 question ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
Trying to get my head around Zig and split charging...

Looking on the web it seems there should be direct (via 25A fuse) connection from Zig +12v terminals to both the leisure and car battery, but on
my bus only the LB has this connection. The LB does charge from mains/Zig, the car battery obviously doesn't.

Diagram http://www.dandyforum.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1313146508/

Would there be a reason for this or did the PO just get it wrong...?

Thanks

Matt

I think you only need a +ve and -ve connection to both batteries from the Zig unit when a fridge relay is connected.
However, I've wired mine with both and have had no issues in 5 years. And no flat batteries either.

Thanks Sparkywig

So with the Zig charging both Lbattery and CBattery when 240VAC is connected, the only other bit of the puzzle is to connect
+ve Car battery to +ve Lbattery via a relay triggered by 12v from regulator, to get charge to LB from dynamo when moving ?

(the Zig plays no part in charging LB from dynamo)

Thanks Sparkywig,

I think there is only one 12v supply from the Zig, so all the 12v sources are common, which if is the case, and you attach to the +ves of both batteries, you are in effect running both batteries in parallel (+ves are joined in Zig), so they will both charge together from the Zig, but you also run the possibility of draining the starter battery. (They will also both charge together from dynamo with no extra relay/split charge etc)

Looking a the photos in this post - http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52829

It doesn't look like there is a enough circuitry to provide 5 isolated 12v channels - you can see one yellow wire supplying 12v to all three fuses....

With my setup zig only charges Lbattery, but a relay controlled by regulator connects both batteries when driving so dynamo charges both batteries...(Zig never charges starter battery, but also I can't drain Starter battery when camping)

I think with your setup Zig and dynamo charge both batteries as they are in parallel, but you could drain both batteries when camping

So you can't have both, you either have ability to charge and drain both batteries together, or the ability to not be able to charge starter battery with Zig, but also can't drain it when camping.

As I only run LED lights off 12v I'll go with the second (your) way !

Sorry if it's a long boring post - I hope it's accurate, I'm sure I'll hear if its not....!

The internal diode pack should stop the starter battery draining if the leisure battery voltage drops.
I only run the Propex, led lighting and phone charger off the 12V, so it's not heavily loaded.
If I take a 3 way cooler it's assisted by the 12V when driving, and runs off mains hookup or gas when parked, so doesn't have a great drain on the 12V setup.

Latest posts