´71 Restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weby

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I´m new to the board, so I thought to drop a few lines & pics.
I own my ´71 T2a since approx. 9 years and bought it as a "ex-fire department" car.
Originally the bus was a niagara-blue window version. In the first 3 or 4 years it
was used intensely by the first owner, a german company. After that the bus went to
a fire department (to serve his duty on a company ground).
The engine was swapped after 100.000 km (1973!), the actual mileage is about 169.000 km.
So I´m the third owner of this bus.
When I got it years ago I painted the whole body by hand hippie-style. Some years later it was
converted to a hot rod bus with a dull black finish & hand-painted flames with red rims.
Many festivals and trips later I had to put the bus in the garage, because I had no money left for it.
But now I had the opportunity to rebuild it and the process should be finished in a few weeks.

So, here a few pics:

NEW0004.JPG

NEW0005.JPG

NEW0006.JPG

NEW0007.JPG

NEW0008.JPG

NEW0009.JPG

NEW0010.JPG

Someone really did a great job on this:

NEW0011.JPG

NEW0012.JPG

NEW0013.JPG

NEW0014.JPG

A ton of filler?

NEW0015.JPG

NEW0016.JPG

Thanks guys!

For the interior I want to keep it simple this time .... some years ago I had a westy-like interior,
but I don´t need this anymore.

Now I just want a bed and something like a trunk/box in it, because I need the space for musical
instruments / band equipment. The headlining will be the original white leatherette stuff.

The side & door panels will be covered with black leatherette and some curtains will find their place
in the bus. :) So basically this is it.
And I will install a hifi-system with two 6"-speakers + tweeters in the front door panels and a 12" subwoofer
underneath the middle front seat. I will install the original audio (+ mono-speaker) AND a state-of-the-art
CD/mp3-Player. :D

A little update .... more pics in the next weeks. Today I got the bus historically licensed and it
passed the technical inspection with absolutely no complaints. That is really a rare thing in germany, I tell ya!!

So, here we go with some pics of the last weeks!

A0001.JPG

Braking system renewal, works very very well now!

A0002.JPG

A0003.JPG

New tyres & whitewalls :)
A0004.JPG

A0005.JPG

A0006.JPG

Rebuilding the engine:
B0001.JPG

B0002.JPG

Original radio in it´s place. I will install another sound system
under the dashboard ....

B0003.JPG

I love the towing hook:
B0004.JPG

Restored seats:
C0001.JPG

C0002.JPG

Fitting the headliner:
D0001.JPG

D0002.JPG

D0003.JPG

Windows back in:
D0004.JPG

Thanks!

The headliner is a TMI Product. Beside the headliner they also shipped an additional 2m x 1,5m of the same material
which last for the whole window surrounds!
BTW: I ordered it at CSP.

Although the wheels are standard they look nice with the white/chrome contrast.
They fit perfectly to the color I think.

On the weekend I´ll install the "invisible" sound system. 8) Yeah!

Latest posts