´71 Restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good, how invisable will the sound system be and where you hiding it?
Not that i'm planning on stealing it just interested :lol:

The subwoofer & the amp is mounted under the middle front seat (where the spare wheel was).
The head unit will be mounted under the dashboard in a leather covered box of wood (right under the knobs).

I had planned to build the speakers in the door itself. And then I only wanted to drill some holes in the door panel.
But this didn´t work out right --> massive modifications needed. So I went for the simpler way and cut some rings and mounted
the speakers to the door panel. Looks okay to me.

And that´s it basically.

And it goes on:

Interior20001.JPG

Interior20002.JPG

Interior20003.JPG

Interior20004.JPG

Interior20005.JPG

Yeah, thats a fine bus! Love the site.
The black & white interior is a classic and the
best option for a savannabeige bus imo.

The tyres are Falken R51. The whitewalls aren´t attached to the tyre .... this is an extra system from a german manufacturer: ravus.de

Weby said:
Today I put together the interior panels:

interior0001.JPG

interior0002.JPG

Hi Mate,

Nice bus and nice colour, always loved the colour!!! Seen you have managed to fit your side quater window, was it difficult and did you use a new rubber on the quarter? I tried to fit mine with new rubbers from Status last spring and no mater what we did or how hard we hit it, we failed to get it to fit as it looked over sized or something. ended up fitting full glass so we go camping but would love to try and fit them again as I have a new set of rubbers to try. Just wondered if you could offer any advice or who may be able to help me do if I get stuck again?

Thanks in advance

Simon

@Simon: Yes, I put new rubbers on. They are from Wolfsburg West and look quite right, but surely are
a bit oversized and it was a pain in the ass to fit the metal frame on the rubber, before it was actually built in
the whole unit. These quarter windows were really the hardest part to do.
Now they fit quite good but the rubber looks more shiny and I had to seal the outer top part of the rubber
with silicone. It´s okay but not the best solution.
If you want to know something specific, don´t hesitate to ask!

@uber cool: Thanks, the paint job came out really good although it was a lot of work.
The final finishing was done by a german-russian guy. He worked his ass of! That´s for sure.

Fantastic work, a real credit to you. It's this kind of thread that inspires me... if I can achieve a fraction of the quality you have I will be happy.

Thanks guys!

@alistair: That is totally stock ... I think the spare wheel well was only used up to the end of ´69.

Weby said:
@alistair: That is totally stock ... I think the spare wheel well was only used up to the end of ´69.

Hi!

Oh right! Mines built 07/70, and has the hole, so maybe 71 model year? I thought all busses had the hole. So where does your spare wheel go then?

Cheers!

Alistair

Ok, then it´s for sure Model 71. :)

The spare wheel on this model is under the middle front cabin seat.
I wonder where they put the wheel on models with two single front seats?!

walk-throughs have the wheel well, non walk-throughs have it under the front bench seat. AFAIK. I have the wheel well in both 71 walk-throughs.

Latest posts