09 dizzy and 34pic carb

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdubbers

Reaction score
hello i have an 09 dizzy and a pic 34 carb and its not running to well, i have been told i have got to block some thing of in the carb to make it run better, is it that thats causing me trouble and if it does need blockin what is it that i have to block and how do i do it what can i use thanks chris.

depends on the current state of your carb and what the person you were talking to was hinting at.....

it may just be your vac ports or it could be the hole in the butterfly if hes been reading articles on marrying the two together....

pics of the carb in situe may help, some of the guys on here are very genned up on carb technology

A 34 pict will have a vac take off for a vac advance dissy. You will need to block this to stop the intake pulling air through it.

As your looking at the engine from the back of the van there should be a small brass tube sticking out about 6mm in diameter, behind the linkages. Put a piece of tube over this and block the other end with a screw or small bolt.

The only thing is the carb is designed to run with a vac advance distributor, and the 009 has a bitch of a flat spot at low revs when pulling away, which you wont get with a vac advance dissy. If it were me I would go back to a stock set up.

so really just gonna cause me trouble then, i brought the van with them both on so what dizzy am i looking for and rough price on a dizzy with vac on it

Kombis go much better with standard vacuum advance dizzy :)

http://thekombikonnection.myfreeforum.org/about79.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should be looking for a SVDA dissy (single vacuum duel advance). This site list the info part numbers etc.

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#B1971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it were me I would look out for one on ebay lots of the variants are interchangeable, just don't go for an earlier one, and ask if there is any play in the center shaft some up and down play is ok about 2-3mm, side to side and its shot.

There are usual some good one to be found at the shows, check the vacuum advance by sucking on the vac port and see if the breaker plate advances it should hold without you needing to keep sucking. If it keeps trying to return the the vac chamber is shot, but dont let that put you off, vac chambers are still available from heritage and a few others.
Buying at a show is probably the cheapest way to get a dissy, Ive picked a few up for about 5 quid, just cleaned and greased.

New your looking at repro quality and they cost around a 100 quid.

First of all, hold the 009 dizzy above the bin and let it fall, they are all CRAP, especially the new ones.
Their advance ist starting to late and it comes in suddenly and check the sideplay from the breakerpoint axle :shock: (even from a new one)
Before they start to perform well (from new) you have to drive 1500 to 2000 miles and after 10000 miles they are worn out, best way is to rebush them and put in some softer springs.
The only decent 009 is a german made one from a porsche 912.
I'm in love with the old bosch 010 and 019 dizzys, nearly indestructable and no side play even after 40 years of service and they give a wonderfull smooth advance troughout the RPM range.

But i also heard good storys of the 123 ignition.

Dirty Harry said:
First of all, hold the 009 dizzy above the bin and let it fall, they are all CRAP, especially the new ones.

Amen to that!!! :lol:

Can't fault my T25 electronic set up. Smooth as anything with the stock Solex 8)

I didn't think 009s were so bad...I:shock: I replaced mine a while ago,(and kept the old one, you never know) and I'm quite happy...I think fuel consumtion improved (very little) and the engine seemed to rev better...but that's only my humble opinion. :) ...by the way, what advance do you guys set the advance (how manydegreees, 7, 9) with a 009?

ibérico said:
I didn't think 009s were so bad...I:shock: I replaced mine a while ago,(and kept the old one, you never know) and I'm quite happy...I think fuel consumtion improved (very little) and the engine seemed to rev better...but that's only my humble opinion. :) ...by the way, what advance do you guys set the advance (how manydegreees, 7, 9) with a 009?

The build quality is so poor that they should be set at full advance (3000RPM) to be 30 degrees BTDC. The idle timing will fall wherever it does.

Could the improvement in performance be due to it having been timed and the points gap made correct on the new distributor? A stock distributor in good condition set up correctly should give marginally better fuel economy - I've heard 1-3MPG more being reckoned. A new 009 could still be an improvement over a knackered stock distributor though... but not as much as a brand new standard distributor in my opinion :)

Latest posts