1600 single port or twin port in my 69 panel?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69rhdpanel

Reaction score
i am rebuilding my 1600 single port that was fitted to my 69 rhd panel and i cant decide if i should stick with the single port or go to twin port.
the single port heads are in great condition as is the carb and manifold, its seems a waste of perfectly servicable parts if i go to twinport. also i would like to keep it as close to original as possible so is it worth upgrading to twinport.

i would like anyones opinions to help me make my mind up, thanks.

Grazy said:
I have a Single Port in my 69 Panel mate 8)

is your singleport still running standard carb and have you any thing in the back?
how does it pull or should i say push your panel around.

Standard everything on engine mate , just a rock n roll bed in the back so not loads of weight
Putts along nicely !

I had a 1500 single port in my old 64 split with full devon gear 4 up from london to manchester and it never missed a beat, with reduction boxes that van did 85 easy.

Lots of people say the single port is good for torque.

I still have a 1600 single in my bay but have a twin port ready to be fitted up with twin carbs and stuff.

will run the single for a while though and may even keep it.

I heard that single ports go really well with a set of twin carbs......

I really like the single port units. Out of all the engines I've had the SP's have been the best over all and that includes looks the favorate being in my old '60 microbus. A stock remtec 1600 SP running twin baby dels and an extractor exhaust. Everyone assumed it was a 1776 it breathed so well. :shock: and bullet proof too!

thanks again guys. i will be sticking with the singleport which will save me some cash.
i may have a look at twin carbs for it thou.

I'm late, but I have a single port with standard everything in the bus and a TP with twin webers, a s/s exhaust and electronic ignition sitting on the floor. I'm not tempted to change. It accelerates up motorway hills. I'm another lightweight tin-top camper though...

Personally I think it's barely worth the effort of doing anything to upgrade the engine unless you go for something much more powerful. Otherwise it'll still be slow - just a bit faster than it was, so if it annoyed you before, it still will. :)

I agree, its nice that so many people spend 10.000 on a race spec engine that will get them up the 1/4 in 15 seconds BUT......
these vans have been on the road with a standard engine for 40+ years....

My opinion is the same as it was 20 years ago when i got in to VW's, standard engine with a mild modification will carry you where you want to go and not need rebuilding every 10.000 miles.
Whats the point of having a massive 1910 with mental cam and full flow oil and all that jazz if you're going to sit a 50 on the way to bug jam.

Don't get me wrong as I also understand the grin factor of a van that can do donuts, I really do. I remember reading a while back that the only reason we didn't get twin carbs as standard was a cost issue with VW, so that's why i intend to stay 1600 with twin carbs. (for now !!!)

To be honest, this thread has made me think seriously about staying single port with some twin carbs, until i go to a show and see a bay pull a wheelie that is :mrgreen:

I had a 1641 single port with twin kadrons it was great also had a 1500 single port in my split no mods solid never any trouble loved it

single port B code bottom end (original?)in my panel,but fitted with twin port heads and itcs cos i had them and spark plug thread was pulled on one og single port .port matched and polished heads 8) and find it pulls better than the old single port that had a twin choke weber but at higher revs.plus side is its better on fuel and can tow race beep and 4 wheel trailer ok.

sticking with my 1600 sp.
sounds like nobody has a bad word to say about the 1600sp so i dont see the need to spend money on a twinport when its not needed. i have a twinport fan housing and oil cooler so will still be using them, should be better cooling for the oil.

Latest posts