• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1955 hinkel engine'd tempo matador /or deal on paint job!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz1959

Reaction score
for sale is my tempo matador truck, it is 1955 which makes it later than the split version.... but from 1952 to 1955 tempo made a single screen matador which ran on a 700cc hinkel aircooled engine. these where used after vw stopped supplying them with the 30hp beetle engine, (as vw started producing there own commercial)

these later matadors used the exact same chassis, same gearbox and brakes as the predicessor, just with a different engine. and the cab design was also very simular, just with a single screen, the petrol tank moved to behind the cab seat and the spare wheel replaces where the earlier ones petrol tank went under the bonet space. so i guess that makes this style the "facelift" model!!!

now just to clarify... there a a few people on vzi that recon that this matador should have a water cooled austin engine..... there wrong!!!! the austin engine came into play in 1956 and was fitted to a more modern looking tempo... (simular to a commer van style!!)

now a bit of research tells me that there where less single screen (or lowlights) made than the split version, and as a result of the hinkel engines not being man enough .... these would have just got scrapped when the engines gave up!! thus leaving even less to be found today...... so whether this style is less or more desirrible than the split version..... it is sertainly rarer!!!! (just my opinion!!)

sorry the passau trailer in the pictures has been sold!!

28042011046.jpg

28042011042.jpg

28042011041.jpg

and a picture of it in storage
storage.jpg

now the sale bit!!

i am in the process of building our new house, and with this , my bus and the vert... its all to much to do, so decided this can def go....so i can concentrate on my bus.
..its 1 owner from new, 1955 tempo matador, from germany, some of the history says it was a coal truck and it has been in storage since 1974 with a blown engine, its now running a vw1500 engine and fires on the button (literally). it still has its original 16" rims, there is loads of stuff that will go with it... inc. new wood flatbed, enough wood for the dropgates, dropgate latches( but no hinges)seating foam, exhaust, etc.. i have just had the keys sorted. very easy project to get on the road, all the brakes have been done, ... i have some footage of it driving up and down our private lane, and some loading it at dubfreeze this year...

if you want anymore info or detail pics of certain bits.. please ask!!

i think serious enquiry's only... you can come and veiw any time, or i can forward pics onto your email (yet again serious people only please....)

now to date i have fitted the rear panel, now fitted the glass, all the seating frame and engine cover has been reinstalled, new cab floors, exhaust header now fitted, petrol tank cleaned up and fitted and rear silencer made and fitted.. there are a few more things to do to get it on the road. the truck is now up and driving with only the lights,tyres and wipers to get sorted for the MOT..

now the house is nearly done i will work to putting an MOT on the truck....

£15,000 with an MOT
i would consider a px... something interesting, don't be affraid to ask...

thanks for taking time to read all the above!!

i am not "testing the water" this truck is actually for sale!!!!

besides there is no water in it

just thinking out loud..... i have 2 very rare cars that i am restoring at the mo.... and they will need "profesional" paint jobs...

so i guess what im trying to say is if there is any good painters/businesses that are interested in the truck and can do a very good paint job.... there could be a deal in there!!!

Latest posts