1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the front:

Imagem(748).jpg

Imagem(749).jpg

Imagem(750).jpg

soon we are going to assemble all the westfalia roof in place to make the last holes.
The work in Hugo's bodyshop is almost over (I hope!).
:mrgreen:

Lovely to watch the change Hugo has been making over the last few months 8)

I bet you are getting more excited now ;)

Gadget Boy said:
[...]
DSC03046.jpg

[...]

After seing this picture in the new Gadget Boy thread, I need some help. Gadget Boy got this replacement panel from Alan Schofield shop.
I've already sent some emails to them when I was looking for the rear corners but shipping them to me was far more expensive than parts being shipped from Justkampers ou VWHeritage... I really don't know why but it was the same as both replacement panels.
So, I need someone from this forum to get it for me and shipp it to me using regular postal services.
Can someone help me? :oops:
Thanks in advance

still waiting for the part I need to finish the task. Unfortunately the part came to Portugal but they didn't find Hugo's bodyshop so the postal services sent it again to London...
Maybe I can have it next week.... :evil:

Meanwhile, I started working on both pop tops I have. One is the poptop I'm going to use and the other one is for selling.

after a lot of sanding, I applied some layers of spray filler:

IMG_2399.jpg

and with lots of sanding in between....

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

and as a finishing toutch a final layer of high-build primer:

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

when the primer dried out, the final result was excellent:

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

On the interior, I want to leave this one as it was originally.
So I had to take out all of the old lining.
For that I tried some tinner and some acetone.
Acetone is far more quicker to react:

IMG_2471.jpg

and a couple of hours later, the task was almost done:

IMG_2480.jpg

I also started to cover the poptop wooden frame with fiberglass top coat, but there's still a lot to be done here....

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

regarding the one I'm going to use, i decided to make some reinforcements on the fiberglass, since those areas where already fragile on one side and broken on the other:

(2006 pictures)

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

and where the inner handle was bolted:

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

.... and now, 2010, after fixing all the holes on the fiberglass properly, I then decided to make the reinforcements using small pieces of sheet metal. I painted them all with Por-15 and covered them with some layers of fiberglass:

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

and after some sanding:

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

in the end, no one will notice that they are there
;)

Since I had it already prepared for receiving a fiamma skylight...

IMG_1060.jpg

... making a wooden frame (because the pop top is curved and the skylight is flat) I decided to make it as if it was a part of the roof....
For that, I bought all the necessary and correct materials, since I started to making what I had in minf using fiberglass filler but soon I realized that was not the best way to make this:

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

So with the help of a grinder, I took it all out :mrgreen:

so, using the correct materials, I started again:
First, we cuted a piece of cardboard to use it as a mold:

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

and on a piece of special foam, we drawed the contour of the wooden frame:

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

and for the corners, I use a plastic cup:

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

in the end, all the cutting lines were drawed:

IMG_2454.jpg

... we just had to start cuting the foam.

I then glued it to the poptop using some resin.
After it was glued in place, I started sanding it untill it reached the shape I had in mind:

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

and after the first layers of fiberglass, it was looking like this:

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

in the end, this was the result:

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

There's still a lot to be done in here also. In the end, it will look like it has always belong there.
Not bad for a first time doing these kind of tasks.
:mrgreen:

Any news Joaonar - been a while since you popped an update on here, hope all is OK :?:

Thanks sonylr.... there's still a lot to be done in the poptop but in the end, I hope it will look nice and work properly 8)

Hi Andy. Sorry for this late reply to your post. Everything is cool here, thanks for asking ;) . Although you're probably getting some bad news from Portugal, some of us are still trying to get this country back to an upright position :lol: .
The project stoped during the Autumn and Winter because what's left to do in Hugo's bodyshop is to protect the bus against future corrosion (or at least, try to) and fix both cabin doors. But both tasks need some sand blast and there were no weather conditions to use the sandblaster. However and although the weather keeps being very instable with lots of rain in some days followed with some very warm ones, a couple of weekends ago, I went to Tondela and we made some progress ;) .
So, here are the pictures ;)

As it was a warm weekend I decided to start protecting the roof. But there was already some superficial rust in it so I used the sandblaster to clean it:

IMGP0900.jpg

(some minor superficial rust)

IMGP0901.jpg

IMGP0903.jpg

IMGP0904.jpg

IMGP0905.jpg

IMGP0907.jpg

A couple of hours later, all the roof was cleaned....

IMGP0908.jpg

... but there was still a very small hole in the rain gutter (probably made by a nail) and we decided to fix it. So we pushed the bus inside Hugo's bodyshop.

IMGP0909.jpg

IMGP0910.jpg

IMGP0912.jpg

There was still some weldings to be properly grinded....

IMGP0913.jpg

After, I decided to use Por-15 Marine Clean. After some minutes I washed it and we dried the roof with the help of compressed air and a hot air pistol (or blower :oops: )....

IMGP0914.jpg

IMGP0915.jpg

once dry, I started treating it with Metal-Ready but this time I used a new botle 8) :

IMGP0917.jpg

I decided to use a brush instead of a sprayer:

IMGP0918.jpg

IMGP0919.jpg

IMGP0922.jpg

IMGP0923.jpg

IMGP0924.jpg

After we let it to work for 15/20 min's, we then washed the roof again and dried it completly once more.
Once dry, we started painting it.
Using the right method, we prepared some Por-15 paint for the task.

IMGP0925.jpg

... and once everything was ready, we started painting it.
I used a brush in the rain gutter while Hugo was using his paint pistol.

IMGP0926.jpg

IMGP0927.jpg

In the end it was looking good.
I just hope it works as well as they say it will :lol:

IMGP0928.jpg

IMGP0929.jpg

IMGP0930.jpg

Latest posts