1968 Campervan conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after welding all the parts in place, hugo started grinding all the welding excesses on the roof:

IMG_2280.jpg

and here was when Hugo really started changing his mind about POR-15 products. The paint was really sticked to the roof.
While the metal gets grinded the paint remains in place :shock:
I just hope it really works.

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

and a general view of the task in progress:

IMG_2284.jpg

and after everything in place and before we started welding the roof, we filled all the empty spaces of the bus with 3M cavity wax. A lot more liquid than the one from Dinitrol:

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

.... and a couple of minutes later, we realized that the wax was leaving the bus from all the small holes:

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

If there hasn't been a huge rust treatment on the bus originaly, now I hope it will resist, at least, a few decades :mrgreen:

Great work by Hugo and yourself as usual (the pics are great :mrgreen: )

Those helicopters and the proximity of the fire must make it a bit unnerving :shock:

Thanks andy...
and yes they did!
But for now, at least in that region, things are back to normal.... and the rain came again, so the arsonists have to wait for the next year :evil:

so, getting back to the saga.... :mrgreen:

On the following day, Hugo started welding the roof. But before, he applied 3M sealing mastic on top of this piece:

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

...and so the task began:

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

.... and it was perfect:

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

after a first passage (welding plus grinding all welding excesses) this was the result:

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

but there was still one side missing....

while Hugo was welding the missing area, I went to see it inside.
I was not used to see it with a complete roof :mrgreen:

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

... and while I was watching and wondering the new interior, I realized that Por-15 paint had dripped between the welded parts. Nice! ;)

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

But once again the day was almost over and although there was still a small area to be welded, we went home.
a few hours later, at 10 pm, I got home and realized from the balcony, a true miracle :evil: .
At that hour, another forest fire was begining :evil:... probably another misterious case of spontaneous combustion!

IMG_2320.jpg

:roll:

On the next day, the welding task continued:

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

more welding action:

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

... and after he had welded the roof, he needed to go back again to check for possible small areas that needed some more welding and a final grinding:

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

and finally, the bus with a complete roof... it almost makes me sad just thinking in cutting it :mrgreen:

IMG_2370.jpg

but there was still work to be done.
Hugo still needed to grind all the welding excesses under the rain gutter... what a boring and tiring task!

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

... at all the way around....

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Seriously nice work dood, keep it up and buy Hugo a drink from me! he is a blinking hero 8)

thanks for your words ;)
8)

67panel: he already has a spot welder ;) but there's no way he can weld this.....

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

... with a spot welder. Grinding is really a task you just need to do :mrgreen:

Imagem(723).jpg

the parts we welded inside, helped alot in keeping the curvature while hugo was bending the roof:

Imagem(724).jpg

and the spot welder worked a lot again... what an excellent machine:

Imagem(734).jpg

Imagem(735).jpg

Imagem(737).jpg

and the central piece already welded to the roof:

Imagem(736).jpg

and all the welding excesses grinded:

Imagem(742).jpg

and the rear part, that holds the bed in place:

Imagem(738).jpg

Imagem(739).jpg