1968 Panel van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW van man

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I have just entered the vintage VW scene as a bit of a virgin.
After stumbling across a LHD 1968 panel van, which i just had to have. And no im not going to put windows in her.
In the end i would like to fit a camper interior in to back, once internal resoration is completed.

Im looking to restore her back to her original condition but with a couple of additions as I will be using her daily except when the roads are gritted!

Im currently looking into ways of sealing and protecting the underside. After doing a bit of research, far to much information taken in!
The underside is sound but looking to completely strip all running gear etc before getting the work carried out.
What are the better method of carrying under body works?

Also someone has gone for the cheap option and fitted a 1969-1970 steering column into her which i would like to change, so anyone know of anyone wanting to release one from there possesion let me know!

They also have very kindly drilled the dase and retro fitted a toggle switch for the horn, which again i want to get rid of.

Lastly im struggling to find a garage to fit her in and now time is closing in on winter so looking at getting a cover. Which covers could you recommend and from who?

I will get some photos posted of her and would be grateful if you could take a look and advise me whats missing!

Thanks for taking the time to read the start of my never ending project.

welcome to the old volks home the windows are defiantly a no..no.. and we love piccys on here... :mrgreen:

VW van man said:
How do you get pictures on here, been trying but no joy!

Hi fella, see this thread:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the url you need will start with IMG

:D

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

wellcome to the panel van club 8) anyone caught putting windows in will be taken out at dawn and have windows fitted to there head (panel van mafia :lol: )wish mine was that straight .still collecting og panels to correct the daylight openings(have been welded up but the filler keeps cracking :roll: )just need centre side (rhd)panel ,sills arches ect.the joys of a uk bus!!!!!!

Loving your panel, i hope mine ends up half as straight as yours once its all welded up. ive got the joys of welding the cutouts for side windows up and the hole left from a poptop.

I like very much 8) 8) so good to see one not blinged up too much, its got such purity to the way it looks, never would of thought a panel Van could be described as beautiful well times are a change-in. :lol: hope you are enjoying.

Thanks for all the great replies people, this is my first and think I was quite lucky with the purchase.
Have a great guy (hayden @ panel Kraft) carrying out a few improvements for me.
But just found out the the colour is not quite right, so unsure weather to get the rest of the inside finished first or go for a respect in the original colour??
Going to go touring around the shows next year so hopefully you will see MUFF on tour, she won't be finished but work in progress!
After all need to fill the penny pot back up!

Also would like to add her body is completely original apart from the battery tray and drivers footwell!!
Which I'm guessing is pretty lucky. :D

Latest posts