1969 Westy parcel shelf above the bed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDK

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westy
Here In the US- I have come across 2 types of parcel shelfs that are fitted above the folding bed in back.
1) is just a cargo net
2) is a wood laminate more like the rest of the interior cabinetry.

It seems the cargo net is more often seen on the ”pop tops”

I have a 1969 westy , “pop top” and it has the cargo net parcel shelf

Does anyone know what type of Parcel shelf - would have came with the vehicle originally ?
was the wooden parcel shelf an option for the pop or just not available at the time ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated and thanks every one in advance
GDK

Hi. The early Earlies had the net and the mid to late Earlies have the headbanger shelf (as did the late bays, but that don’t fit the Earlybay). Tintop & poptops had the same interiors

Thanks much , i appreciate it just want to keep it original as i go thru the restoration work -- thanks again

I have the 69 bay also, mine has the headbanger shelf and I’ve always thought it was a bit of an odd finish to the inside. I’m now thinking it’s been retro fitted by a previous owner

I associate nets with the 1968’s.
My ‘70 and ‘71 had the headbanger cabinet.

It’s fairly simple to determine who has the headbanger cabinets; just look for the people with a bandage on their forehead.

68 & 69 - net
70 on had the open shelf.
I think the closed cupboard came in around 72 onwards?

Hi, this is mine on my US 71 Westy (the interior was trashed hence the new one).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_160919_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403_160919_Facebook.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 3
Here In the US- I have come across 2 types of parcel shelfs that are fitted above the folding bed in back.
1) is just a cargo net
2) is a wood laminate more like the rest of the interior cabinetry.

It seems the cargo net is more often seen on the ”pop tops”

I have a 1969 westy , “pop top” and it has the cargo net parcel shelf

Does anyone know what type of Parcel shelf - would have came with the vehicle originally ?
was the wooden parcel shelf an option for the pop or just not available at the time ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated and thanks every one in advance
GDK
My 69 westy pop top has a net 🙂

If your early Westfalia Bay had an original wood "headbanger" storage shelf in the rear then you will have a support bracket attached by a rivet to the side of the bus. If it has been removed then there should be a hole where the rivet was attached. Cheers.

Attachments

• Headbanger rear storage shelf BRACKET.JPG
    Headbanger rear storage shelf BRACKET.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts