1969MY Ignition Barrel Failed - Won't start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I would put up a quick post as my ignition barrel has failed on my van!! The key, when in the ignition barrel, will rotate enough to release the steering lock (one click) (mine is a US spec van) but will rotate no further at all.

Does anyone know whether the lock barrel can actual be removed alone. I have undone the 4 large screws to pull the steering column away from the dash and underneath the black triangular casting the steering wheel is attached to I have undone the tiny screw that holds the bakelite switchgear at the rear of the ignition barrel in place, but is there anyway I can remove the actual ignition key part from this?? And if so can I get a new barrel? I have seen VW Heritage sell something that might be right but thought I would check.

Any help would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Yes mate, it can. Not 100% sure how but I know there was some sort of retainer into the houseing. Not sure if you got to take the wheel off and stuff but I shouldn`t have thought so, you should be able to get at it by swivelling it round (the casing)

ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Hope I`m right,, :mrgreen:

here we go james a step by step guide

http://www.dolgyfre.adsl24.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chris

A bent piece of coat hanger up there and you'll soon find the hole then pull it into the barrel whilst pulling lightly on the key and voila the lock will soon pop out...... once thats out you can then strip down the rest of the mech, at the base opposite the key there is a small pin (its actually 2 very short pins) push them out to release the tumbler assembly (key in place) and then once you remove the key (carefully noting the wafer positions )you can clean the wafers springs and housing.

Thanks for all the info guys and the guide.... will have a go once I am back off hols next week.

Hoping I will be able to repair the old barrel to keep the original key but will have to see....

Thanks

James

Latest posts