1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gas1man said:
Bus is the nuts dude. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Botophucket are crap , buggered up my whole thread. Hey Ho.
Good luck with the planned trip to Europe. Hoping to get Abel to build
Boris a new heart for 2021 Big saving going on. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks mate, Oooooo what spec you going for? Abel is a decent bloke, I’m sure he’ll look after you.

Went over the workshop today to do some bits to a customers bus, got done what I needed to do so took the bus out for a rip. Brakes still need fully bedding in but this thing drives soooooo nice. The new suspension and brake setup was worth every penny.

Need to work out how to post a video :?: :?:

K@rlos said:
gas1man said:

J & P

Thanks mate, Oooooo what spec you going for? Abel is a decent bloke, I’m sure he’ll look after you.

We are looking to put in a new 1776 running a single carb. 34 pict 3(I know I know) :lol: :lol:
We are after torque down low rather than high speed. Standard crank. :D :D .

J & P

gas1man said:
K@rlos said:
gas1man said:

J & P

We are looking to put in a new 1776 running a single carb. 34 pict 3(I know I know) :lol: :lol:

J & P

Is that your personal preference or what he recommended? Either way you won’t go far wrong with him.

K@rlos said:
gas1man said:
K@rlos said:

J & P

Is that your personal preference or what he recommended? Either way you won’t go far wrong with him.

My personal preference as I feel more comfortable with it rather than 2. Have also rebuilt one etc.

J & P

Van is looking sweet and liking the interior :)
5kw heater should make the interior nice and toasty too.

It’s nice to opening the curtains and have it sit on the drive :mrgreen:

However, my honeymoon period was short lived....

Me and the missus went down the pub Thursday eve, came out about 10.30 and discovered this... Some little shit decided to put a window in while it sat in the pub car park :evil: Unlucky for him there is CCTV and I know who he is so words shall be had. Fortunately I had a spare pane of glass in the workshop.

Other than that all is going well, gave the engine a service as I’ve now managed to rack up a couple hundred miles in about a week :shock: so it got fresh engine oil/ filter, adjusted the valves, checked timing & carbs, changed gearbox oil and greased the beam and spindles. Have ordered some F11 emulsion tubes you replace them F7’s which are in the carbs currently as I’ve got a minor case of the notorious IDA flat spot under light throttle between about 1700 & 2000 rpm. It’s not horrific but I’m determined to tune it out then next winter I plan on shipping them to Gary Berg in California to have the 3rd progression hole mod done which will make them drive a bit more like an IDF. Bit of a faff but the power and noise is well worth the hassle 8) Happy with the gearbox spec too, cruises at 70 mph @ 3000rpm and going off from that, i highly recommend the smiths electronic speedo. Not cheap but worth every penny.

gas1man said:
Can't wait to hear how the trip went??? Blow some peeps away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P

Used the bus as a daily this week as I only live 3 miles from the port of Felixstowe where I work. , 1 of the blokes I work with has a Mercedes Vito sport 3 litre V6, apparently it’s the fastest vehicle in Suffolk and he drives it flat out everywhere.... he pulled along side me at a set of lights on the way home Wednesday, so I let him have it. Couldn’t get anywhere near me :lol: :mrgreen: it’s certainly good fun.

So after some testing on the dyno I’ve made a couple small changes.

Ditched the faithful Bugpack mondo in favour of a rather nice Dynomax ‘turbo muffler’ which I got from CB performance, has less restrictive baffles/ wadding but a longer head pipe which is better for low & mid range rpm. Also a bit quieter but has a nice rumble to it. Brought the expensive VHT paint from Halfords, gave it a good coating then got the powder coasters next door to put it in the oven for an hour so it’s nicely cured :mrgreen:

Next was a bit of playing about with the carbs, had a bit of a lean hole at about 1800-2000rpm under light throttle. Swapped the F7 emulsion tubes for F11’s but it didn’t make a shits worth of difference :roll: so Next I borrowed a set of factory Weber IDA trumpets to try in place of the Jaycee sort as my thinking was the the smaller diameter mouth of the OG stacks would act like a smaller Venturi, speeding up the air speed entering the carbs at low rpm and pull more fuel over the jets and reduce that lean spot, couldn’t put a smaller vent in as I’ve got 38’s now which are the smallest you can get for an IDA, luckily it worked :D Has transformed the low speed drivability, was ok before but is now much smoother. Probably given up some top end power but realistically it’s worth the sacrifice. Still does burnouts so I’m happy :lol:

Not that it’s important but I prefer the look of the stock style stacks and it’s easier to get the jets out. So win win

Not been here for a while, So thought this needs an update. Couple little teething troubles like a split intake gasket and a noisy release bearing (which was new) :roll: even though the worlds been pretty fucked up lately the bus has been getting used as much as possible..

Got some phelonic spacers from Gary Berg in the states to help the heat soak issue, made a massive difference in the hot weather.

Took the missus for a night away up the coast last weekend, sat on the beach drinking rum and watched a beautiful sunset

Then on sunday I went round to see Grazy at his new house in Felixstowe which is just down the road from me :mrgreen:

Had a nice night time thrash coming home from my workshop the other night. Flooring it down a straight road, hearing it scream at 7000 rpm in each gear and pulling away from most cars off roundabouts & traffic lights make me realize how much I missed my bus :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mike202 said:
Nice pics especially on the beach [emoji905]

Are the phenolic spacers exhaust manifold gaskets?

No they go between the carbs and manifolds, reduce heat soak into the carbs and stop the fuel boiling.

K@rlos said:

Took the missus for a night away up the coast last weekend, sat on the beach drinking rum and watched a beautiful sunset

Where exactly is that little spot? I love a beach stop off.

K@rlos said:
mike202 said:

No they go between the carbs and manifolds, reduce heat soak into the carbs and stop the fuel boiling.
Ah I see, I think I might have this problem. On hot days after a run the engine dies after a re start, eg visit to shop just before home. After about 30-40 mins all ok again. [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
K@rlos said:
mike202 said:

Ah I see, I think I might have this problem. On hot days after a run the engine dies after a re start, eg visit to shop just before home. After about 30-40 mins all ok again. [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure it’s not a dodgy coil? Mine would always start just took a bit mite cranking

Couple pics from when I changed the release bearing, nothing visibly wrong but it’s a lot quieter now.

Latest posts