1970 Westy Campermobile. Here we go.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beetjunky

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my 1970 Westy Campermobile. I watched it sit in the back of a shop for years then one day the city had them all towed away so i followed it to the tow yard it was going to. After a couple months i was able to buy it. Been puting it together ever since.

6cb1a5bf.jpg

c0f680b0.jpg

That's a brave project. Keep us updated I'd love to see the finished article

The day i got her home. No grarage to work on her in. Just the street. The old women across the street was not a fan. :D

291c7e04.jpg

Well it came with a 1600 DP but it had thrown a valve so i bought a 1641 with Hydro lifters and built that up.

Old
47ae6137.jpg

New
f610485d.jpg

So engine installed. Had to get it running ASAP because the city said they were going to tow it because it was not licensed and had out of state plates. So long nights working on the engine.

b8fc91a5.jpg

Got my rims power coated. New tires. I am going to lower it some got low profile tires. Looks funny till i lower it. I have an adjustable beam just need to get some drop spindles.

065ded32.jpg

Got the blinkers, tail lights, brake lights and head lights working. Was wondering if the relay might be bad for the lights so i took it out to have a look!

4f78555b.jpg

Think it might be bad....

e243736e.jpg

Took her out to get some gas. Riding dirty at this point. No plates and tabs. First time in 13 year at a gas station. She is thirsty.

25fa4032.jpg

caf1ec4c.jpg

Been driving her to work. Trying to break in the rebuilt engine. I might have to kick this progessive to the curb and watch it bounce twice. 34 pic?

Put some caps on it from my Oval.

d51aad1d.jpg

cool thread i like it , like the story like the interior like the work like the van ! ;) ;) dont like fuel filter in engine bay (stick it under the van ) and that red dizzy cap put a stock one on fella might be the root of your problems they arc out all over the place :roll:

are you going to buff the paint up it would look ace 8)

keep the pics coming

chris

crede999 said:
cool thread i like it , like the story like the interior like the work like the van ! ;) ;) dont like fuel filter in engine bay (stick it under the van ) and that red dizzy cap put a stock one on fella might be the root of your problems they arc out all over the place :roll:

are you going to buff the paint up it would look ace 8)

keep the pics coming

chris

Oh that red cap was the first thing to go. That was on the engine when i got it. That is in the trash now.....

08e833b5.jpg

Cali_bay said:
Beetjunky said:
Put in a Westy clock i picked up for $5.00

f9a5381d.jpg

$5 for a Deluxe clock :shock: :shock:, can you get any more, I'll take ten:mrgreen:

Yeah,
I went to cut some metal off a bus from Craigs list that was going to be scrapped and i bought that off him. It was an after thought for him. I was happy to get it. I have been offered $100.00 for it not even knowing if it works. I dont even know it it works??? :lol: :lol:

91044313.jpg

Got it going for the 4th of July!

Loaded it up.

2ab0a92d.jpg

4ac72084.jpg

Drove it all day then it started to leak oil when it got hot. This it might be coming out of one of the push road tubes......Damit. :x :?

Gret looking bus you've got there! 8) Nice progress so far. 8) Looks like a rare interior set-up to me.

Keep up the good work (and keep us posted!) :D

Latest posts