1970 westy pop top resto has started

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panalvan

Reaction score
After using the van for nearly ywo years its time to strip it down and give it the resto it deserves.So here we go
As i got it
1970westiearrives002.jpg

After three holidays and loads of shows how it end up
002-1.jpg

And of this morning
113.jpg

115.jpg

112.jpg

118.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

More to come

I would be happy if my resto 'finished' like that :D
Go on admit it, you just like tinkering. :roll:

I know but its got to be right and the photos dont show the chips in the paint and the leaking window seals.Havnt found any nastys just yet so it should be a easy one.More pics to follow

VeeDubMan said:
That's not a resto...that just needs a polish! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Chris , Personally i would have just lowered it but then its not mine , Good luck and keep the pix coming my son :mrgreen:

Bit more done today all windows out and the dash is nearly there still no horrors but i have found my first bit of rust about 2 inchs long on the paas side windscreen rubber lip not to bad there is a picture below.
018-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

Bit out of focus but this is the rust the rest is just dirt which washed off
001-2.jpg

Thats it for now

I can't wait to see the progress on this one - It's going to be something special ! 8)

Good luck Chris :D & keep us updated on progress mate...

Cheers will hopefully it will turn out ok carnt wait to get it painted so i can start bolting nice nos parts on but thats along way off yet
Chris

Loads done today with the help of my long suffering wife.Steering column out and the pedels are out the wiring loom is out so the front is all striped.The pop top is off and the engine and gear box are out all the cables are out.I would say one more weekend will have it done then off for blasting in the engine bay and the underside.No working on the van tommorrow as its club day and one of my other vws will be getting a run out.Now for the pics
Found a nest on the belly pan no one at home though
001-3.jpg

Loads of spider webs but no live eight legged friends just nice and solid metal
002-3.jpg

Engine and box out very greesy box will clean up nice
003-3.jpg

Empty engine bay petrol tank and sorrounding area all spot on
004.jpg

Pop top off i love tin tops but both being lanky a pop top it is
005.jpg

My wife sorting out the pop top ready for the painting
006-1.jpg

Rust free roof hole very pleased
007-2.jpg

same story on the other side
008-1.jpg

Rear of roof a few small dents from loading up the roof rack and nice og paint
009-1.jpg

One for grazy empty westy means ride hight of a 4x4 the new low
010-1.jpg

Slider cover off well pleased only surface rust very clean seensome horrors here before
011-1.jpg

Other side just as good thankfully
012-1.jpg

Thats it for now hope to get it fully striped next weekend

my missus says 'look wot us wives have to do to keep you happy!' at that point my mind wandered :wink:
i'll pop over tomorrow with a bucket of salty water, give it a week it won't look so peachy :lol:

omg just had a thought you didn't go to subway today!!!

Just a small update
As it was taken out
003-3.jpg

After a couple of hours at work
001-4.jpg

Going to send it to cog box as theres some play in the shaft that goes to the shift rod in the van i think its only a bronze bush that needs replaceing but may as well get it checked out
More this weekend

Nice one Chris,

Pete at Cogbox did mine - and a great job too - He'll automatically re-paints them black unless you tell him otherwise. - Just in case you didn't want him too :wink:

Also, check out the 500 Abarth in his garage - it's a beauty.

Saturday update.
Good day loads done just a couple of frustrating hold ups.
Beam out after being told this is a bitch of a job i removed the 8 bolts and it just lowered out on my jack well pleased
013-1.jpg

Nice and solid still had the original hard grease behind the beam
014-1.jpg

Inner wings are very good just a clean up and paint needed
015-2.jpg

Now the bitch job couldnt get the stearing box off as the short arm has siezed on the splines and the drag link has sized to it as well so tight i recked a ball joint spliter .I will have to make somthing up at work
016-2.jpg

Thats me on the left and a mate nick giving it ago but no luck.Also removed all the brake lines front and back the tank is out just the rear suspension to go tommorrow.

Chris,

i had this trouble too, i found that machine mart sell a ball joint splitter that fits the steering box, and you can also fit it too an air chissel/hammer soon rattled mine off

Jon

panalvan said:
Just a small update
As it was taken out
003-3.jpg

After a couple of hours at work
001-4.jpg

Going to send it to cog box as theres some play in the shaft that goes to the shift rod in the van i think its only a bronze bush that needs replaceing but may as well get it checked out
More this weekend

That looks pretty clean, how did you go about cleaning it?