1970 westy pop top resto has started

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi t2-nate
I work for a large compressor company so we have large degreeser tanks i just brushed it down in the tank then used a wire brush to get it real clean.Cheers chris
More pics later of the rear end

Had a good day today all stripped out bar the stubben stearing box just got to make up a roll over/roll around jig so i can have the bottom blasted and painted.So a few pics
003-4.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Thats it for stripping just the doors to be removed for painting looking foward to getting all the bits powder coated and putting it all back together

Anyone seen this before between the spring plate and hub/bearing carrier there is two thin pieces of packing they are at the top .They look to have been there from factory and are the same on both sides never seen this before on the other vws ive restored.
010-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

Any ideas would be good should i put them back or not?

started making up roll over jig/wheeling around frame yesterday spent a few hours working with chris (he has some pics of progress so far), had a couple of hours this afternoon cutting out some plate and oxygen ran out for gas axe :roll: so thought we would try to get some stuck bolts out, one led to another to another :lol: the longer it got the easier it was
bolts.jpg

bolts1.jpg

This weekends progress .Been good at last got the pain in the arse stearing box off borrowed the biggest ball joint splitter ive ever seen and with a loud bang it was off :mrgreen: So that left the siezed pin in the hand brake to get out and after an hour or so it was off after a lot of sawing.
014-2.jpg

All i have to do now is press the rest of the pin out
Then nick and i started to make the roll over jig/ roll around jig.We are using the bumper mounts as they are very solid and its only a shell that we are rolling.I hope this will be ok
012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

Just the a frame parts to make then its off for blasting
Also removed some stubben screws from the engine lig hinges and boot lid guide this was done the good old way of welding a bolt to the screw worked a treat see hogseye post
Not much to do nowthen off to the painters just the a frames and remove all the door to lighten it up
Nice and stripped out
015-3.jpg

Thats it until next weekend

today we took the van for blasting was a bit of a pain but its there now will be picking it up on friday to take to the painter so fingers crossed all goes ok.Roll around jig proved to be very good to make the shell mobil but was a pain in the arse as we made a slight measurment error and made it to long for the trailer so it had to be removed for transporting on the trailer them putting back on when we got there :roll: :roll:
A few pics of today
001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-5.jpg

Then in the booth
006-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

More on friday

Is that Gill's shot blasters Chris ? :D He's good,

Dare you to just lacquer the bare metal :lol:

Blasting done now well chuffed how solid it is two tiny holes one on the right hand side front inner wing as shown below and a small hole in the battrie tray about the size of a pea.Yes will it was done at gills pleased with what he did just a little bit of distorsion by the petrol flap but dave will sort this easy.Cheers to nick (hogseye) for his help top man
001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

Then all rapped up ready to go to the body shop
006-4.jpg

More later

Some pics sent over to me by dave after his late night stripping fest
vanpics4.jpg

vanpics5.jpg

vanpics6.jpg

vanpics3.jpg

VanPics2.jpg

Previous repairs but no rust :mrgreen:
vanpics8.jpg

vanpics7.jpg

Previous small fire damage behind westy trim panel
VanPics.jpg

Coming along very well more later

hi chris this is me first post of many i hope , now have all me funds together up to 9 k so hopfully be able to find something soon so please keep your eyes open just like yours is what i am after ,anyway just like to say your photos of all the hard work you are doing to your westy are great, i hope i find one as soild as yours looks credit to you and your wife keep the updates coming there great .

say hello to your dad hope he is on the mend

Been a while but lots have been going on so a few pics
Dave simpson has been straightening the van which is very close to being done plus repairing some damage and rust to a little bit of gutter.Looking very nice hopefully in primer next week
008-3.jpg

007-5.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-5.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-5.jpg

Last one just a few of the bits ive had powder coated
009-3.jpg

More later

That takes me back Chris ! :D looking good mate - bet you can't wait for the shiny stuff to go on - when's the big day ? :wink:

Hopefully painted in the next couple of weeks as for the money in suffolk i hope my only kidneys ok as ive sold the other one.
Better get my mk1 golf on the road as its taking the vans space in the workshop :mrgreen:

Just a quick pic of the beam had to take it while the wife was out as she says beams dont belong on the dinning table
003-9.jpg

Started to prime the van so i will get some pics soon

far too much time on your hands chris.....not gonna tell the wife bout the beam :wink:

looking cool tho fella , will be the dogs when finished, love the colour as ever.............
ste 8)