1970 White Survivor Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All done. Had to buy a carb raising mount so the the carb cleared the alternator. Only trouble is I think it's causing issues with the throttle cable now.

Garage tidied up and van waxed for summer. Just need to sort out tuning and the throttle cable issue and im good to go.

Awesome pics and progress - sorry we missed you at the lineup!
We ended up sat about infront of the buses for a couple of hours around lunchtime
You going to the EarlyBay Lineup next weekend?

Hi stu

Thanks. Yes Shame I missed you guys. Loved your bus and the bling cooler😁. The missus and kids all loved the buddy box you and some of the other buses had so that's now in the to buy list. Sadly I can't make next weekend but aiming to get to at least one good show in the bus this year. Look forward to eventually meeting you and the some more of the forum members.👍

Lovely Westy you have Rob, looks nice and straight. Your gearbox sounds like right fun and games!! Wish I had the knowledge and time to be as hands on as you are.

Funny thing that, all my family prefer the awning leaving me to sprawl out in comfort in the Bus too.I always give the aching groan and stretch when I get out in the morning so I don't give the game away :lol:

BTW STOCK HEIGHT ROCKS :msn4:

I'm sure you will have no choice but to be hands on as time progresses. Having said that I spoke to a guy the other week who has a Westy an he hasn't done anything to it in 8 years ok ownership other than a starter and regular service. I'm not that lucky. Gearbox and gearchange all sorted and felt good today and worth the effort. One last thing I may do is replace the front bush as the jk one in the kit still leaves a bit of play at the front rod end. I think you ban buy one on its own from vw heritage.

Yes stock height does rock when it comes to speed bumps, rough campsites and getting under to fix it. Although after this weekend I'm not sure I like the white walls anymore and I do fancy a subtle drop. Problem is i couldn't bear the bottoming out and rubbing

Also found a problem with the choke spindle as the staggered cam thing wouldn't drop down under its own weight so when you let off the accelerator it wouldn't return to idle. Managed to lossen it by prising it away from the carb body with a screw driver.

I'm not sure I like all the gaps in the engine bay such as the holes and it's a job to see but there is a big gap between the rear engine tinware and the rubber seal. my old late bay sealed much better around the engine trim. Not sure what difference it really makes though??

Great thread and pics ... the kids are right Winnie is a great name!!

Our's was already called that when we bought it so it obviously had to stay.

Managed to get a front belly pan from FBIVW, in condition and so dinitrol'd it and fitted. Instead of it coming with sweats like just campers they sent me this useful greyhound instead. Not sure whether I shall eat it or just walk it. Not much space to work in the garage sadly.

Oooo did you notice the leaking steering box. Next years job that one. Alongside a remote brake service I reckon.

Car packed for a trip to Seaton in Devon. Trying out the new roof bag. Thought I'd take the free dog I got fro FBIVW. If I got hungry I figured I could use it to catch a cat for the BBQ.

Was a bit nervous setting off as still haven't resolved one issue which I think is now a left rear wheel bearing when turned hard to the right. Also since the fun and games of the last trip I'd fitted a new carb, alternator conversion and front wheel bearings. Anyway ran well and the replacement carb was well worth the piece of mind. Struggled a bit with the standard 1600 single port up some of the hills but still made it. Fingers crossed it lasts the week and the way home.

Nice updates Rob. Both my steering boxes have leaked even my new referbed one, cover the whole thing in sealant and it still drips, mullered my drive way!! have a good holiday mate and look forward to hearing about the return leg with no dramas ;) Nice roof bag btw, I like the look.

Cheers, it's a nlavw bag but I'm fairly sure I saw a similar one also in the vw heritage Catologue going cheaper

Had a trip to Lyme Regis today. Was super pleased to find specific camper van parking spot, and right on the end too.

Phew was still there when I came back later. Stock height rocks!

Glad I waxed it before we can away!

Latest posts